Help Me

My son keeps screaming and wont stop!!
My husbands brother and his wife came to stay with us for a month or so and they have 2 medium sized dogs (which i hate them being here!) and at first I thought maybe he was allergic to them because he broke out in a rash just on his face so I brought him to the doctors and she said he has an ear infection. The past few nights though have been hell he will wake up 3 or 4 times a night screaming SO loud... I will just let him cry to see if he will go back to sleep but he doesnt so I go get him and rock him, feed him everything and he still wont go back to sleep so at the end of everything the only way he can get back to sleep is crying. So I am wondering maybe ther is something else besides the earache? Why is he screaming so much? and why wont he sleep? What To Do????????
any help or advice would be GREAT at this time

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 9:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to see the doc STAT. Were you given anything for the ear infection? They can cause TREMENDOUS misery. And I think you're right abut the allergic reaction. If the dogs are still there, they need to go and you'll need to do a thorough vaccuuming.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear that your son is screaming so much. And it's tough to figure out why he's been crying so loud. During the day is he getting to much stimulation? Maybe the dogs are getting him all active and happy... I know when we go to a party during the day, my kids would have nightmares at night. Take a day to just have soft music around and minimal activity. He may sleep better that night.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• he may need tubes in his ears, sounds like he has another infection, get him to the doc NOW! the surgery takes about 20 mins & it will help him soooo much, my dd has had them put in twice. go to the doc!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Ear infections HURT!!! I once had to go to the ER (& never had I been prior) due to an untreated ear infection. Baby is screaming because he is most likely in quite a bit of pain. It happens more at night because of being laid down and the fluid surrounding the ear canal. Do not leave your precious one to scream himself to sleep. He truly needs you and your loving to get him through this. It should not last much longer if he is being treated medically so my advice is to go to him. Love him! Hold him! He truly is in need of you and being picked up to relive the pressure on his ears in the middle of the night. Good Luck! I hope baby feels better soon!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Ear infections are very painful to an infant. Him screaming is completely normal - there is no such thing as a baby with an ear infection that is not screaming or crying. If your ped. prescribed meds for your baby, use them of course...but other than that, there is not much you can do about the pain except trying to comfort him. It will cause some sleepless nights but it is nothing you and your son can't get through. I also think you need to get rid of those dogs and vacuum your home as thoroughly as possible ( including furniture ). Good luck to you and your son.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009