Question about Spinal Taps

I saw my OB yesterday for the first time in this pregnancy, and she told me I'd have to have a c-section this time since my last was c-section and my births will only be spaced 13 months apart. Anyway, with my 1st and 2nd childbirths I had epidurals, and to me the procedure wasn't painful. However I'm really terrified of getting the spinal tap. Does the needle actually go into the bone? Also, my 2nd I had the epidural during the c-section because it ended up being an emergency so I had planned on vaginal, so I don't see why it's necessary to have to be numbed from the chest down. How will I feel myself breathing? Will I feel myself breathing? I should've asked her all of this but we had a lot to talk about since it was my 1st appt. Can I refuse the spinal and ask for the epidural instead?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The process of getting a spinal block isn't much different from an epidural; you sit up with your back hunched over, they give you a shot to numb the area, then they give you the shot of medicine into the area around your spinal column (not the actual bone), and you lie down and wait for it to kick in (it only takes a couple of minutes). But you're not having contractions during the process, lol. Once it's working 100%, you won't feel anything below your boobs except some pressure, but there're no problems breathing or anything. The worst part is feeling kind-of tilted, and when they roll you on your side to move you back to the bed it feels like you're going to fall to the floor, but there will be a nurse to hold on to. But if you're really uncomfortable with it, obviously you know epidurals work, too, so it's certainly worth asking the doctor if you can have that instead, I don't see why it should be an issue.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I believe that you can refuse the spinal. Talk with your doctor on your next visit about your fears. I have had a spinal and you breathe just fine. The pain in my back for the next few months was not worth it at all. I had the epidural when I gave child birth. I got the spinal when i got in a car accident. I really think that you should speak with the doctor on your next visit. How far along are you? I got from what you wrote that your in the beginning of your pregnancy.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2009