Too Many X-Rays or is it Ok?

My 14 year old broke his wrist last summer and it didn't heal properly. He is scheduled for surgery to correct it in a few weeks. The surgeon requested a set of x-rays a month ago and is now requesting another set of the same, a few days before surgery. My son has had about 5 different sets of x-rays of this wrist over this past year - should I be concerned about the radiation or is it really not a big deal?

Again, the latest x-rays were taken less than a month ago and the doc is asking for more.

Thanks!

Dlp11494

Asked by Dlp11494 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You have to weigh the pros versus the cons...he is asking for more x-rays so he can see if they are any changes in bone structure...it is easier to plan out the surgery beforehand than to go into the surgery and find an unexpected change.
    Not the same situation, but I have a condition where my lungs randomly collapse and this has happened well over 15 times since I was 14...everytime I have had to have several xrays and ct scans. I have 2 healthy children and at this point have no health conditions related to the x rays.
    Ultimately it is your discussion, but if your uncomfortable...call and discuss your concerns with one of the office nurses. Good Luck!!!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 10:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• He should be fine. The surgeon needs updated xrays to see how the bones are growing and to do the surgery properly. Would you rather have the surgeon do the surgery without the xrays and do it wrong or have the xrays and have the surgery done correctly and your son have no more issues? Think of the overall picture of what you want to happen, your son to be healed, have no pain or have any more issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• A lot could have happened to the wrist over the past month. It's to be expected that the doctor would want updated x-rays...and if it was dangerous, don't you think the doctor would have NOT ordered them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the feedback. I understand why the doctor has asked for them again... The surgeon isn't aware of all of the previous x-rays (we had used a different doctor for the initial break) and I was just concerned about the radiation and the last set was taken less than a month ago showing now sign of change since his first set.

Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I know that radiation isnt the greatest but neither is having an unset broken bone! I wouldnt worry about 5 xrays at all! My son has had approximately 15 xrays of his lungs and he is only 4!! they cover his testicles with a lead cover but the rest of his organs are exposed to radiation. But I dont think twice about it... my sons lung control is more important to me than the POSSIBLITY that he can get cancer from radiation. He could very well die if his pnemonia's are let go too far (he has had 9 hospitaliztions 5 days or longer) and so its important for me to know exactly what is going on
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009