Wedding help

This is my first and hopefully only wedding. I am completely lost. Nobody in my family has ever gotten married so they are no help. It also doesn't help that during the hard times our parents are unable to help financialy so we are looking at a $5000 budget if we're lucky. I'm trying to cut costs, do you have to serve food during the ceremony, is it tacky to get family to bring a dish, help.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 10:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• no wait to have family put food out after it all, have a diff table for food and one for the cake.. dont do a pot luck but see if the woman ant to bring anything, if not do the trays at walmart there cheaper than anything else, thats what we did, go to the dollartree and get those mints for a whole dollar, you can find weird stuff there for real cheap so theres no worries for ya..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We did our wedding for under $700 except for the rings. Hiring a seamstress and buying the material for the dresses themselves was infinitely cheaper than buying the dresses from a bridal shop, it also allowed me to match the material to my chosen colors. One of my friends volunteered to do the flowers (all silk, BTW) and we found a great photographer by asking at the local high school, of all places! He took all kinds of shots, candids and closeups, and we paid a pittance for his time and for all of the developing and WE got to keep all the negatives. I decorate cakes so I did my own cake...finding local talent instead of a bakery can save you $$. I designed our own invites and programs and had them printed at a print shop. We utilized the church's own Christmas decorations (Dec 17th wedding) for church decorations and did the reception hall ourselves with candles set in birch branch candleholders that my dad made.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Also cut our own evergreen branches for decorations, add glitter and Christmas bulbs to the tables and we were good to go. Decorated a wreath in all white ornaments for a background for the bride's table

We also made our own food for the reception: meatballs in various sauces, cold cuts & cheese plate, pickle/relish trays, rolls from the bakery, pasta salads, Christmas jello salad, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's your wedding - if that's what you want, then do it. Also, go to THEKNOT.COM - it's amazing!!! My fiance and I would be lost without it! There's a ton of wedding sites to go on that will help you.
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 10:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We did ours very casual at a local park...my mother made salads...potato, macaroni etc....Dress...david's Bridal $99...Bridesmaids $20 sale sundresses(can be worn again)...decorations borrowed from a friend...flowers were a gift from my uncle...cake locally for $120...invites fill in the blanks kind from local party store used a gold metallic pen and they looked gorgeous....any other areas you need help with just message me...I'm great at penny pinching and still making it look nice!!!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 10:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• NO NO NO You do not have to have food at the reception. Cake, punch, mints & nuts was all many people did for a long time. Simply time your wedding to be about an hour after a meal would be. When people talk to you casually let them know that you are keeping the wedding simple. People understand. Have your groom & groomsmen wear suits instead of tuxs. Same money but they keep the suit. If the wedding party is small then they can even wear what they have and just buy new shirts & tie. Let the bridesmaids get dresses that they will wear again and wear the shoes they have. Just let them know what color/style you are looking for and it will look fine. Find friends/family that can do cakes, flowers, etc. I made my own cake $50 total but I already had all the pillars, plates, etc involved. I had a florist do the flowers but I kept with my theme which was simply spring so the bouquets were daisy's, carnations, etc. Cost $150.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you know someone with a Sam's club membership you can get cheap flowers. My friend bought a white tier cake at wamart or the grocery store. We cut stems off the roses from Sams and placed them on the top and scattered petals around it. It was very elegant. We had a gt together with bridesmaids and wrapped some roses in pretty ribbon and made our own bouquets. We made the punch then too. I agree with finger food trays from Walmart or Sams. Little sandwiches and fruit and veggie trays would be great. Table decorations can be simple candle holders and they dont have to match just get all glass ones.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• CON"T - Do not force bridesmaids to buy shoes they will never wear again. Once again go with white shoes, black shoes, etc and let them wear what they have. I hate seeing bridzillas that want everyone to pay for their wedding because it's their wedding. I decorated my wedding from the dollar store. Various spring colored table clothes, Hershey candy bars with computer printed labels with our name & wedding date for favors, spring colored plates, cups, napkins, etc. I got bubbles off of ebay cheap.

Think back to the weddings you have been to. Does anyone really care that you have your name/date printed on the napkins? They use them & then trash them. We found that many people actually like the idea that they weren't expected to go to a Building & wait for us for an hour. Instead we had recep at church. All we had to do was pay $50 for the janitor. We also used the easter bows, etc for decorarting church. Total cost $700!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Oh yeah...forgot about the candy bar wrappers...we ordered ours off Ebay...we did mini bars with our name, date and a small rose printed on it...still have 1...lol...and everyone said how nice it was to really sit back and relax...kind of like a reunion...my wedding was the same summer as 2 of my cousins, but there's were fancy evening weddings...this was a nice change of pace.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had a $5000 budget wedding too.. It was beautiful. It included food too! I suggest making a list,of priorities. What are your "must haves" Make that list, and create your budget from there. What do you want to spend more on location, vs. dress vs cake vs flowers vs decor..
    Do you want to get married in a specific place.. put that on the top of your budget list. Is there a specific gown, or are you willing to bargin hunt? I got mine for under $100 because it was on clearance. (Bridal shops have clearance racks, but they usually won't point them out unless you ask them upfront)
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2009