What did you do for your child's first birthday?

We're thinking of having a small cook out with just family. A lot of people I know had or are having really big parties for their kids. Am I lame for doing it small? What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we had 2 small parties with close family and friends, one at my g-ma's house and one at my in-law's. grilled out burgers and dogs and had homemade b-day cake. planned it for after nap time so he would be well rested. He had fun and so did the rest of us. Oh, buy a balloon for your little one to play with. A Mylar and Helium will give hours in entertainment.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I think you are smart and the ones doing big parties for one year olds are lame!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We had a cook out LADY BUG PARTY and i was just family. We had a great time and everyone enjoyed thereselves.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Big giant parties for 1 years olds are not for the 1 year old, IMO. For both my kids we had just us and very close family, only about 10 total. My kids have birthdays in the winter so we did pizza and cake, lots of snacks, lots of balloons =) They had fun and it wasn't overwhelming for them.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• that's what we did for our baby. We cooked shish kabobs on the grill and had can sodas and bottled water in a cooler to drastically reduce cleanup. Then we made a tiny cake for the baby and 3 different kinds for everyone else. Last we cut up a watermelon. The party was outside on our covered porch. We had plenty of seating inside with A/C, but it was pretty nice weather and a few of my relatives came in for a few minutes. The party lasted about 3 hrs. Some of my family had wanted me to have the party at my aunt's house because she has a nice covered area and pool, but I didn't want the drama - they all called me after the party telling me how much they enjoyed themselves. A few ppl that usually don't come to parties showed up- i really think it was bcuz we made it so simple. Everyone left and we went into our house and the baby played with his new toys and gift bags in the middle of the floor. It was perfect.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Nah, I think it sounds perfect! Be sure to give a mini-birthday cake for baby to destroy ;-)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• With all 3 of my kids, we had a small party at home with just our family. My family is big enough on it's own so it was fun! We cooked dinner food or had bar-b-q  Then cake and ice cream. It's more fun and relaxing that way, then you're not stressing on your child's big day.

Anonymous

• I just had family over and cup cakes so my duaghter could eat her own cake. Only she had just eaten, so gave it to the dog! :) We bougth a few of those dollar streamers and decorated with that and got a pin on ribbon that said birthday girl so we could use it again. We had lots of fun.
    Anonymous