Am I the only person with a 12 month old child that WON'T sleep through the night?

I feel like the worst mom in the world. Everyone else is always talking about how their baby slept through the night at 3 months or whatever. Can I possibly be the only one who's child is not sleeping through the night yet?

We have a solid bed time routine, He takes two good naps during the day but doesn't sleep past 2 or 3 in the afternoon. He goes to bed at 8 every night. He eats well during the day, and he isn't teething. CIO does not work for this child, he is entirely too willful.

I can NOT be the only one!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did not sleep through the night till 18 months, you are not a bad mom, it just takes time. Keep at it and he will get it.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You aren't. And just so you know, when it comes to babies "sleeping through the night", that is defined as 5 hours in a row. I do not think most babies go down at 8pm and sleep through until 7 am the next morning, sure, some do and boy I hate them!!! LOL, but most don't. Heck my almost 2.5 year old still wakes every night around 4am.... and that is a giant improvement from just 6 months ago!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Not by a long shot. My youngest son was 15 months before he slept through the first time, and didn't do it routinely until he was almost 2. My grandson didn't routinely sleep through until he was 3 and a half but he has medical issues.
    I think the sleeping through the night is the hardest milestone to hit. Could you stand him if you took away his morning nap? It's a hard toss up but sleeping all night is quite a reward in it's own right.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I know that sleeping through the night is 5 hours, but my son goes down at 8, wakes at 12, wakes at 3, and wakes at 5 or 6 for the day.

He could not function without his am nap. It is very clear that he still needs it. He is miserable at 9 am until he falls asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon 10:46 My DD is miserable also by 9 am. She does sleep thur the night. Naps on the other hand are the issue in this house.
    I would try to take his morning nap away or maybe the afternoon nap cut that down to a 45 minute nap or the morning nap 45 minutes max. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and still wakes 1-2 times a night for a bottle. He drinks 6-8 oz and goes back to sleep, but I'm pregnant again and the night wakings are killing me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my son is 15 months old and juststated sleeping though the night about a months or so ago
    and ight now he only takes one nap doing the day
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I didn't even read the other replies, because you are NOT alone! I am you!!! My daughter just turned 12 months earlier this month, and STILL won't STTN. She's NEVER done it. The way you described your sons daily routine sounds like my daugthers as well. One question though: what time is his last nap of the day, and how long does he sleep?

It's frustrating, and trying, but it gets better. It HAS to lol. STTN is a biological milestone. Once their bodies are ready for it, they'll do it. And we get to sit back and wait for that to happen! yay!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You aren't alone! What does he do when he wakes up, though?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My daughter was almost 2 before she finally started sleeping through the night. I wish I had some advice, but I don't. It was a long struggle.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009