Are there any conventions, meetings, etc for homeschoolers that are not religiously centered?

Our daughter is not quite eight months old, but we already know that I will homeschool her. My only reservation about this practice is in the fact that children meet most of their friends (if not all of them) through school. That being said, I was delighted to find out that there are several gatherings each year all over the country that allow homeschooled students to meet eachother. However, the majority of these functions seem to be organized by (and intended for) Christian homeschoolers. As my family is not of the Christian faith, I have been trying to find secular homeschooling groups (since I doubt there is a group called "Homeschooling Hippies"...lol).
(Please, if you are against homeschooling, or if you have nothing more helpful to say than "So just let her go to 'regular' school", then do not post here. Also, I have NO problem with parents who do not homeschool. This is simply a personal choice for us.)

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in

• One of the best ways to find a local group is through looking in Yahoo groups. Often, along with the numerous Christian-based groups, you'll find a few secular or all-inclusive groups as well.

There is a list of 2009 conventions/conferences for the US here: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/calendar/events.htm

In my experience, joining a particular group isn't always necessary. There are several in my general area --- some exclusive, some inclusive --- and I've tried most of them (well, the ones I was even allowed to join). NONE of them were a good fit for my family.

Now, I hangout with a few from this group & a few from that group in a very laidback & disorganized way LOL

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes, there are secular homeschooling groups. I run one myself. Sometimes they are hard to find; many groups in our area have no web presence and don't advertise. Keep looking. When I first started homeschooling, I could only find one group in our area. Now I know of about 8.

There are secular homeschooling groups here on CM, as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We home schooled using k12.com. It is wonderful and they have activities all the time for the kids to meet & greet. Good Luck. Check it out its state funded in most states.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 11:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• There are actually quite a few of them, they're just harder to find sometimes. One of the best ways to find a local group is to start hanging out at libraries and parks. Go there during the day after public school starts back and look for the kids who are over the age of 6. Seriously!

Kids only meet their friends through school because that's where they spend the majority of their time, but that doesn't mean that kids who don't go to school are friendless. I started a couple of homeschool groups when my youngest was a toddler so that he could grow up around other homeschooled kids. They also meet friends in the neighborhood and through activities like sports, scouts, 4-H, clubs, and things like that. We've never had any problem finding friends!

As for us hippies...you'll find most of us at the unschooling conventions. *grin* My family's favorite convention is the Unschoolers Winter Waterpark Gathering in Ohio.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009