Religion and Business

Do you prefer to support businesses owned by someone with your beliefs?

Example: If you are Christian and wanted to buy Avon, are you more likely to buy from a Chirstian rep or less likely to buy from a Pagan one, just on the basis of their beliefs? Or doesn't it matter??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me, I would not not buy from someone just because of thier religious choices. HOWEVER, if I had the choice between two I would usually support the pagan one, as I am pagan. But if I am talking to someone that sells Tupperware and I want to order, I don't ask about religion as a prerequisit or anything. I have a freind though that does. She is pagan, and only supports businesses that are run by pagans. (not counting public businesses like Wal*Mart or Sears) I thought that was a little strange when I found out. She also sells Avon, and has been told that people will not buy from her because she's a witch... This is something I have encountered, mainly here on CM. I have had 3 or 4 people that did not join my team, but joined the company, just because of my beliefs... Again, I found this strange!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I do agree with you, that if given the choice between the two I would probaby choose to support the business of another Christian. However, it's not a practice of mine to find out what someone's religious beliefs are before doing business with them. Had I found someone that sold what I wanted and they were Pagan, I would still continue to do business with that person.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's not really a matter of religion...(though practically speaking I happen to know reps that go to my church, so would likely buy from them just because I know them).

And I will choose not to go to a business if they (as a business) do something totally offensive to my moral sensibilities, which admittedly have a religious foundation. But really you can figure if anyone does business in a "family friendly" manner that I can bring my little girl around to, then it's good with me.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Their Freemason mentalityis showing. I do business with local people or friends when possible. Other then that it doesn't matter. What kills me is that, this was a perfect opportunity for them to witness to you, by their actions not words, Instead their words killed the chance. As they always do with these type of people. Heaven forbid they try with kindness instead of venomous words.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If given the choice between the two, I would probably go with the Christian. This is not to be a purposeful detriment to the Pagan (or whatever belief) individual but to be a BENNEFIT to the Christian individual as my fellow family member in Christ. I try not to use a negative motivation for anything I do. I would not deprive myself or my family of things we needed just to be in spite of someone whose religious beliefs are different than my own.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i dont care what religion you are, i'll buy from anyone :) i would hope my religion wont stop people of other beliefs from buying stuff from me, that would really hurt my husbands and my business.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I buy from whoever giver the best service.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'd base buying more on personality of the person selling than I would on religious beliefs. I have met some Christians with horrible personalities and I would much rather buy from a Pagan who has a nice personality. It's not like I think the Pagan would curse my milk and the Christian would put a blessing on it (KWIM?) lol

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I could care less.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I don't care about the religious affiliation of the businesses I support.

Now their political, ethical, and ecological positions? Those affect my interest.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009