Should I accompany my friend to China for 2 weeks, to bring home her adopted daughter? I am a stay at home mom and have never left my kids with anyone for more than 12 hours.

My kids will be almost 4 and 2 by the time we would travel. They do not go to daycare and are with me every day. I do work one day a week and my husband watches them. He would work half days and work the rest from home. When he's at work, I would have to find family or friends that could watch the kids. Would this 2 week period of my absence be too traumatizing for both my kids and my husband? I need to make a decision today. Have any of you left for that long and been sorry you left or were you pleasantly surprised that all went well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Travel

• I think your children will be fine if you want to go and support your friend. Is your husband ok when he watches the kids? does he get easily overwhelmed..or you know he can handle it? Id your family close by and willing to help? You can make a box with your picture in the lid and the kids can go to the box everyday and get a surprise from mommy. I would get paper sacks with each day written on it so they know when the bags are gone you will be home. Something simple in teh bag like smarties should do, maybe a small flashlight one day, or little toy dinosaur. I think it will be harder on you than it will be on the kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It will be tough on them, but they will totally recover, and what a great opportunity for you, I would absolutely go.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I say go, what a cool experience. Your kids will be fine and so will your husband.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Go! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and your friend and child will benefit from your presence (and you husband will appreciate you more)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Your kids are old enough and hoestly this seems like an experience you wouldnt want to miss out on
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I went to Africa leaving my young kids behind for two weeks. While it was hard, I told myself I was enjoying a much needed break/experience and when I'd call the kids, they'd say, "Jon stole my truck Mom" and were oblivious.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009