Are you scared to have a c section?

I am 35 weeks with twins and my dr told me yesterday that i am going to have to have a c section. I am so scarred. Anybody have any advice to give on what to do to prepare myself. I will be having it no later then Aug 25

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 11:10 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not so bad! The surgery itself was painless, although the medication might make you a little sick. I threw up once, but I had been throughout my labor, so I don't know if it was the medication or just me.
    You should be allowed to have one person with you, so make sure that person is the one you want to hold your babies first; you won't be able to. The worst part about the C section was the recovery room... I was all by myself, only got to see my baby once (probably only because I insisted on breastfeeding only) for a few hours. They won't let you go until you can wiggle your toes. Other than that, the procedure itself was fine.
    Don't let anyone make you laugh while you're still in the hospital it HURTS! Walk around as much as you can, don't pick up anything heavier than your babies, and you should be fine.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i had one
    you are scared=normal
    it really is not bad at all
    it is planned so it will be pretty quick, although with twins not as quick as one
    most likely to occur...
    check in etc etc, you will get a tube put up for your urine-that was the worst part for me
    a shave, needles for drips, and shots
    into op room, then a spinal shot for numb from shoulder area down-i did not feel the shot at all
    husband/partner up at your head for support, mine tryed to look down there but was blocked
    then BEAUTIFUL BABIES!!
    you will have to go to another room to recover until you can wiggle toes and i had to recover a bit from morfine, then i got wheeled to my room
    aftercare...KEEP ahead of your pain, have someone with you the first week if possible, hos. stay=3 days, no stairs or lifting anything heavier than baby, if poss. have baby in bassinet at end of bed at night have husband bring to you to feed. do not over do it,
    it is NOT bad
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had an emergency C section...and was terrified!!! Luckily I didn't have more than an hour for the reality to set in. The surgery itself is not bad, honestly. They'll get you prepped and give you your spinal. That will completely numb you. Then you'll lay on the operating table with your arms outstretched for the blood pressure cuff and iv fluids. Once that happens you will only feel them pushing around on your tummy. I never could tell when they cut me. It was soooo easy! The recovery took me a few weeks before I could get up without hurting though.
    Good Luck...you'll do great!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That was something I worried about my entire twin pregnancy. In fact, at 35 1/2 weeks I was still holding out hope that my babies would turn, but they didn't. They were both breech and born via c-section at exactly 37 weeks. I did experience a lot of anxiety about not being able to move afterwards (my older child was a natural delivery, so I'd never even had an epidural). I also had a lot of nausea for about the first 24 hours after the c-section, but after that it really wasn't as bad as I had expected. I moved a little slow for a week or so, but I was able to get up and take care of my babies. Try not to listen to the horror stories and accept any help you can get (because of two babies, not because of the c-section). If you're up to it go out for a nice lunch or dinner with your family the day before you are scheduled. Just try to think about the future beyond the c-section as much as you can. Congrats & GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Someone else posted that it might take longer with twins, but it is still very fast. Mine was scheduled for 12:30, and my twins were delivered at 12:37 and 12:38; then it took them a few minutes to sew me back up and it was over. There will also be a lot of people in there - the doctor and the doctor's assitant, the anesthesiologist, a nurse for you, a nurse for each baby, and your husband.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• First I would be asking that doctor just exactly WHY I had to have a c-section. Just being pregnant with twins does not automatically equal c-section. Then if he gave me a good answer then HELL YES I would be worried and scared about having major abdominal surgery with a list of possible complications too long to even start to mention here. That being said if there is some sort of medical emergency causing my babies to be born c-section then I would also be happy that we have that as an OPTION these days.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009