If a premie baby keeps getting sick will they take the baby from the parents?

Ok long story, I know if a baby is always getting hurt badly, new bruises, broken bones etc, cps will take the kid away if its something the parents are doing. Well I have a friend who recently had a premie baby, he is always sick in the hospital with diaseases such as E. Coli, and samonella and a bunch of other things. The mom is breastfeeding and is also not eating and putting nutrients back in her body to give to the baby and refuses to put the baby on formula... will that hospital figure out a pattern or anything and end up seperating the baby and his parents? I am curious because I am worried for the baby, he is only 5lbs, barely a month old and keeps getting sick with these diseases that I dont see why he would be getting them if his parents were taking the right care of him. I have never had a premie or really been around anyone but this one before is this just normal for a premie to always be sick like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had twins at 28 weeks. They were in the NICU for 7 weeks. Came home and I never had any health problems since. Baby B did spend the night at the hospital once because I thought she was breathing weird. She wasn't and came home in the morning. My girls weren't even 5 pounds at 7 weeks when they came home. I would go over to her house and make sure everything is clean. If not I would help her clean. I would talk to her about formula if she isn't going to eat right. Oh yeah, my girls were formula fed too. Tell her that breast feeding isn't doing what it's supposed to do if she isn't eating right. Obviously the baby is always getting these diseases. I hope that she changes for her baby. If not I hope that someone steps in.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My daughter was 3 months early and was in and out of the hospital for the first 4 months of her life. Often times they couldn't even figure out what was wrong...so yes they do get sick more often...the E. Coli infection is the one that concerns me a bit though, not sure how ANY baby would get that unless the parents were handling feces or raw meat than handling the breast/pump/bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• the mom maybe trying to do a good job, but still is doing something wrong. pre-babies are and can get very sick. It is good for the baby that they took him back to take care of him. Tell your friend to work on herself get strong so when the baby comes back she will be ready.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• When they are preemies their immune system is weaker than most babies. They may just need to make sure everyone washes their hands when holding the baby, including themselves. This doesn't mean she's not doing a good job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• agree with other person I have had 2 preemies one was 4lbs other 3lbs not twins I get precylampsyia when pg and deliver very early...Anyways preemies are very more likely to get sick then full term babies b/c they arent developed as much as full and their immune systems are very weak...but to get E-coli wow i agree i dont see how a baby would get that!
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 11:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm anon :30 and wanted to add that at-term babies are also exposed to these illnesses more often than we think but their immune systems can handle it more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• A lot of preemie babies are usually in and out of the hospital because they have a weakened immune system. If the e coli raises a red flag, I'm sure the hospital staff would call CPS if it keeps happening, but it also could've been a complete accident.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 11:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• anon "When they are preemies their immune system is weaker than most babies. They may just need to make sure everyone washes their hands when holding the baby, including themselves. This doesn't mean she's not doing a good job"

Her and her husband are the only ones around the baby, they rarely let anyone else see the baby, no one else is allowed to hold the baby. We have been friends for over 7 years and i have only seen the baby once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Ifyou've only seen the baby once, you really don't know what's going on. And if the baby keeps getting sick, they are doing the right thing to keep other people away. A preemie weighing 5 pounds may not be a problem. How do you know the mom isn't eating and putting nutrients back in her body? Giving a baby that sick formula is a bad decision, and if her doctors aren't suggesting it, you probably don't know more than them. Doctors are quick to push formula if a baby isn't growing well. It sounds like you really don't know what's going on.
    Anonymous

• anon "Ifyou've only seen the baby once, you really don't know what's going on. And if the baby keeps getting sick, they are doing the right thing to keep other people away. A preemie weighing 5 pounds may not be a problem. How do you know the mom isn't eating and putting nutrients back in her body? Giving a baby that sick formula is a bad decision, and if her doctors aren't suggesting it, you probably don't know more than them. Doctors are quick to push formula if a baby isn't growing well. It sounds like you really don't know what's going on. "

Ok, just because I dont see the baby, does not mean I dont see and talk to his mother. And how I know shes not eating, when she is complaning and saying how she does not eat, um a little obvious dont you think? Or does she not know if shes eating either? And putting a baby that sick on formula is not a bad idea if the mother is not going to take care of herself.
    Anonymous