WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN YOUR CERVIX IS THINNED OUT???

WELL I GOT CHECKED AND MY DOC SAID THAT MY CERVIX HAS THINNED OUT AND THAT IM 70% FACED SO I WAS WONDERING WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IM SO CONFUSED.

datmami22

Asked by datmami22 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A thinning cervix means that labor is eventually on the way. You can't have a baby vaginally if your cervix isn't thinned.

Good luck.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• gud luck mama ur cervix is gettn ready to dialate
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry, I'm about to be rude. How are you this far along and don't know what that means? Are you going through your pregnancy flying by the seat of your pants? Your body is going through major changes and you didn't think to maybe read up on what was going to happen beforehand? I could see if you're asking the question in your first trimester but asking when you're already effacing. There are tons of books about pregnancy and you don't have to buy them. The library is free. Or websites on pregnancy. Babycenter, Babyzone, Whattoexpect, ect. I suggest you go to the library or get on a website and read about the last month of pregnancy so you don't get any more surprises before the labor comes and you'll know what to expect as far as the normal things that happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wow anon that was pretty rude.

lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i kinda of agree with anon. i was preggo with my first at 19 and i knew everything that was happening to me.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I also have to agree with anon, its shocking to me that anyone would be that far along in pregnancy and still doesn't know the basics of it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• anon 8:30... well if you are so informed about pregnancy, why dont you answer her question!! I do agree that we should know what is going on with our bodies but obviously she agrees too or she wouldnt be asking the question! OT... your cervix is shaped like a cylinder. At the start of pregnancy, it is usually about 5 cm long and you are 0% effaced (0% thinned out) Your cervix has 2 openings, one to the vagina and one to the uterus. As your pregnancy and labor progress, your cervix actually disappears so that those two opens meet up and that is the point that you will hit 10cm dilated and you can deliver the baby. So if you are 70% effaced, that means that instead of being 5 cm long (5cm seperating the openings to your vagina & your uterus) your cervix is now only about 1.5 cm! Typically the more you efface, the quicker you dilate! ...continue

Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ...

I hope that explanation helps you:)

I find it "funny" that none of the woman that bashed your question (or lack of knowledge) were willing to answer the question for you! Really makes me wonder just how informed they really are!!

Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well is not that i dont know is just that for being my first i dont know everything ive been having to many problems to be reading books because im not into reading like that so some of you didnt had to be rude just cuz u have kids dont mean you know everything since is my first im learning everything so im only 7 1/2 months im just worried bout my baby sake
    datmami22

Answer by datmami22 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009