My kids all want to go to Disney World, but for me it's too expensive. What should I do?

My kids want to go to Disney World, but I don't have the money right now. They're throwing tantrums every day, and I try to explain it to them. I'm always looking at different travel companies, but all of them are so expensive. Does anyone know what travel company to use?

Megan769

Asked by Megan769 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to six flags
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• save for a year and get the kids to help you save so they can get excited. Or make it a Christmas gift. After Christmas the weather is better anyway. For now take them to the pool and park and start to safe.
    Just tell them to stop throwing tantrums or you will never go.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Throwing fits every day? To me, that's NOT the way to get to Disney. They need to learn & understand that you're not the Rockefellers & that they can't have everything they want when they want it.

I never went to Disney, and I'm not damaged from it.

IF you really want them to have that experience, though, then I'd sit down & figure out a budget to save up for it. DON'T go into debt. Then explain to your children that it will take you "X" amount of time to save for the trip and that's when you will go --- IF they hold up their end of the bargain (up to you -- keep good grades, stay out of trouble, help around the house, etc)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• save up and explain to them. tell them looka m gonna save up but if you keep acting like that we wont go at all!!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Have a family meeting and decide if you can do it INSTEAD of Christmas? Kids need to learn that you can't have everything. We went on a family vacation this year and to go the kids had to sacrafice the summer camp they normally attend. Plus we stopped eating out to save. Everyone has to give a little to get rewarded.

Throwing fits is just unacceptable. Regardless. If my kids threw a fit like that I would mimic them in a "I want a new car" fit so they can see how ridiculous they look. You don't always get what you want when you want it... you have to save and work and then....maybe.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• How many kids are there? Sounds to me like they need a smack on the butt!! NOT a vacation!
    Anonymous

• Forget Disney World sweetie. You need to spend some money on getting a spine and not letting your children manipulate you by their fits. With all these ridiculous questions you keep posting, I would also suggest buying a life while you're at it, because you obviously don't have one.
    Anonymous

• anon 1:31, that's really mean and uncalled for. it's true that she needs to be more firm with her kids, but this could just be the one situation that she's soft with. she's probably a really good mom and strict when she needs to be. we cant assume that she's that way by a post on cafe mom. That's like assuming that youre a horrible person by what you just posted and you're probably a really great person. Cant we just try to be nice on cafemom at least, this world is already full of mean people, cm is a place to chat w/other moms and help eachother out not belittle and verbally abuse eachother.
    Anonymous