My daughter wants to go to Artistic gymnastics, but it's just too dangerous. I said she could go to rhythmic gymnastics, but she said only artistic. Should I listen to her?

My daughter wants to go badly to artistic gymnastics, but it's dangerous. So I told her, "It's too dangerous. What do you say to Rhythmic gymnastics?" And she said, "No, mom, I want to go to artistic gymnastics!" And so I knew that she was going to be very upset if I didn't let her go. But Artistic gymnastics often led to serious injuries, and I don't want my kid getting hurt. So should I let her go, or is it just too dangerous?

Megan769

Asked by Megan769 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say no to any kind of Gymnastics- having had a child in competitive gymnastics for 5 years, I have seen the ugly side of the sport and do not reccomend it to anyone. There are those who have had better experiences with it than I and my child did, but not many.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Make sure she has a good teacher and be there to keep an eye on the class. put her in artistic gymnastics. Remember she can hit by a car and get hurt too.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There are a lot of things she can get hurt at. Backpacks was banned from our school because some broke their ankle tripping on one. Can't protect them from everything and things you least expect can cause serious injury. I think gymnastics sounds like a good activity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Seriously? You wont let your child take a class in gymnastics because its too dangerous?? Find a reputable school with a good teacher. They dont start out making them jump off beams and do back flips. It starts out very slow and learning to stretch and do cartwheels. She might get involved and learn a few things and then decide she doesnt want to do it. You have to know gymnastics to do cheerleading too. I think the paranoia is just going too far. Its a good way to get exercise and its fun. I cant believe you told her no because its dangerous....yeah, so is walking down the street, or getting in the car.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wow, for someone who just joined CM today, you have a lot of issues. Wanting to know if you should listen to your 7 yr old and get her belly button pierced, if you should give in to their tantrums and take them to Disney World even though you have no money to do so, etc. Gotta love the drama starters with nothing else to do.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You seriously need to get a life!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Give her a choice-your way or nothing. And then DON"T budge on it. Remember that you are the parent and she is the child. If she doesn't like that -well tough, her problem not yours. Your kid needs to respect you when you say no even if they don't like the reasoning behind it. And you need to not worry about how upset she is going to be with you. Like I said before-YOU are the PARENT and SHE is the CHILD. Sounds like you both need to remember whose roll is whose.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• A child can get just as injured from Rhythmic gymnastics. Rhythmic gymnasts still tumble and need to be extremely flexible(often beyond that of an artistic gymnast). A child can get hurt doing any sport or activity from soccer to marching band. It is all about the way the coach or leader helps to protect and lessen the possibility of injury.
    c_turtle21

Answer by c_turtle21 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my 3 yrl old is going to be in gymnastics. any sport can hurt a child.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2010