Christians- what is your opinion of Buddhism?

Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe a religion that teaches RESPECT is good and close to God. That is all God wants
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am a Christian now, but I explored and practiced buddhism for many years when I was in martial arts. The assistant Sensei at my school was very spiritual and he taught me a lot about buddhism, meditation, power of the mind. I read a lot of books and got pretty into it.

This is my opinion now that I am a Christian. I think that the beliefs can seem to make sense (4 noble truths, 8 fold path, etc). It appeals to people who are sick of the materialism, greed, and selfishness of western society. However, my experience with it continued left me empty. As I practiced certain types of meditation I had success, but these experiences were actually demonic.

There is a way to escape the errors of Western culture, and truly be filled and "enlightened" and I have found that only in Jesus Christ. It won't come just from going to church, you need a real relationship with God.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Buddhism teaches that "All life is suffering" and "suffering comes from attachment" -- that you need to get rid of all your desires and attachments to end your suffering.

Jesus teaches, "In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33.

In my relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, I might still suffer but I have hope. Because I cling to Him, He clings to me. He will never leave me alone. I don't have to give up on love, I need to give up on my self. It is kinda complex. But it is so much easier to not have to work on a path and try and work out my own enlightenment on my own. In Christianity there is not 8 fold path, there is just one step -- come to Jesus.

So this is all my opinion. I respect people who are buddhist a lot. But I don't follow the beliefs anymore. I believe that Jesus is the one who suffered for us so He could one day end all our suffering.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009