Haven't They Taken Enough Out of Textbooks Already?

Gender Neutral Textbooks? Why? What will teaching this to our children accomplish?

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/25524727/war-on-words.htm#q=textbooks

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 11:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Tolerance? OH NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• we must be fair don't you know?? So mush has been taken out of history now kids have no clue.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon 11:58 exactly how will taking gender out of textbooks teach tolerance?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• History changes daily kids are not taught facts they are taught how one person feels about that particular time in history. My husband is a History Professor and is sickened by this. His classes are full every semester kids are hungry to learn what actually happened in American History and World History. They don't care to learn a politically correct sanitized version they want to learn facts and know the ugly truth about how we got where we are. We had our scandals and did horrible things in our country we also did many great things in our country. Kids are not learning everything anymore and it is pathetic. My husband home schools our children so they are not trained in public schools to be mindless robots which is all that is being produced right now. So sad.

Anonymous

• p>Anon 11:58 Tolerance is about showing respect to those we disagree with. History is history it can be ugly so I am not sure how changing and even lying about history teaches tolerance. Just teaches if you don't like something you force someone to change it so it does not make you feel bad that would be intolerance.

Anonymous

• Doesn't sound like a bad idea. They're not taking out gender. They're making words that describe subjects of both genders gender neutral. That's not changing the country or taking away the differences between males and females. What a stupid argument.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• So I am curious. Are the founding fathers all going to be unisex? Are they going to say, "Washington wintered with its its at Valley Forge." Instead of saying, "Washington witntered with his men at Valley Forge?"

How silly. So are we supposed to stop teaching our boys to be men and our girls to be ladies? I don't think so.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That's not changing the country or taking away the differences between males and females. What a stupid argument.

Yes it is taking away the difference. Instead of a chairman or chairwoman it is to be "chair." No workmanship or founding fathers. They are absolutely taking away the sex of the individuals.

Are they going to change all the forms we have to fill out. Are we going to start declaring ourselves as "its" or "person?" I gues the word HUMAN will be out to.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon 9:16. Kudos to your hubby!

I had a fabulous history professor in college. I took every class he offered even though I didn't need them for my degree. We were required to buy a book for each class, but we never used them. He wrote his own textbooks, complete with appropriate references, paid for the printing himself and GAVE them to us. I still have them. In fact, my 10 yr old has started doing some studying from the first one.

All of us won't submit to being dumbed down!
    Anonymous

• jus1jess did you actually listen to the video?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 12:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009