Why is it ok to talk about and hear about Christian beliefs all the time but if you speak of Wiccan or Pagan beliefs you are considered a freak? What happened to freedom of Religion in the U.S.A.?

Hollyberry1974

Asked by Hollyberry1974 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have you heard of pagans getting killed by hundreds?

You mean besides all the thousands you killed because they wouldn't convert? Babies skulls crushed under boots, women raped while their husbands were forced to watch. You should know what you're talking about before you ask a question.
    Anonymous

• I beg your pardon 700 Christians murdered in Nigeria yesterday, where is the outcry! You are the victim, Christians are not masaquering or threatening to kill you! Islam and Sharia law are!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You can search all over and find every religion has been persecuted throughout history. it was a terrible thing that happened yesterday but I would probably feel more sorrow for it if every "Christian" I have ever met wasnt a shove it down your throat burn in hell type person, who judges and persecutes everyone who isnt christian. Just because I dont practice what you preach doesnt make me a bad person destined to burn in hell. PAganism and Wiccan-ism(i dont know if thats the right word) have been around longer than chrisitanity and is in fact among the oldest religions on the planet. I am not a wiccan or pagan and nor am i any other religion but i respect everyones right to practice whatever religion they so choose.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Excuse me I was speaking about Wicca and Paganism in the U.S.A not at all what you are speaking of read what you are responding to.
    Hollyberry1974

Answer by Hollyberry1974 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I ask that question myself a lot. I think some people simply fear what they don't understand, so it's easier to push it aside and believe the things the media and other people tell them - even if it's misleading or false.

Or maybe it's just more entertaining to believe we all dance naked in the forest bathed in black cat blood before we have the big orgy.

(and yes, I have been asked if I kill cats, if I really dance naked in the woods, and if we have orgies.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I see where you are comming from... As a pagan I have been told really nasty things by christians. But, there are always going to be people that are persicuted for their faith, no matter what it is. Christians in other countries are tormented all the time. Pagans are tormented here... That's just the way it is. It's sad, and unfortunate that we all can't just get past it. But there has always been religious unrest. In ancient times and today, wars are fought over religious choice.

To be honest, if you want my opinion... Pagans and Christians alike should quit bitching about it and just be happy they aren't Jewish... The poor Jews have faced more than anyone... They have been tortured and killed by Pagans, Christians, Muslims and everyone else... It's all just sick!

My advice to you is lead by example (or try to). Look past someones faith and even their negativity and just ask the Gods to bless them with tolerance!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• YES, I have been asked the same thing.  i am a Green Witch so I am all about the Earth and the fruits of the Earth.  I believe in God and Goddess because humanity would not exist without a womb and a carrier of seed. My saints are Earth, Air , Fire , and Water, that is what i pray to. I believe in the 3 Fold Law, whatever you give out returns to you 3 fold so If you are me, I give out Love, understanding, joy etc.  whats so EVIL about that?

Hollyberry1974

Answer by Hollyberry1974 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I feel terribly about what has happened to the Jewish people.  Another example of persecution gone to the fateful end of murder of a peoples for a sick ideal.  I am not christian because I choose not to be.  My family through the ages were DEVOUT Christians.  One of my ancseters is a man called St. John Southworth who was hanged and drawn and quartered during the Protestant Reformation.  He was a DEVOUT Catholic whose crime was.. Harboring Catholic Priests.  He hid the m under a stairwell in our family hall in England.  So I chose to belive in the air I breathe, wind on my face the sky above, the ocean and the land which sustains life.

Hollyberry1974

Answer by Hollyberry1974 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• "I beg your pardon 700 Christians murdered in Nigeria yesterday, where is the outcry! You are the victim, Christians are not masaquering or threatening to kill you! Islam and Sharia law are!"

Oh my... such anger. Anyway, OP I see where you're coming from. I think every religion is this way though. On CM there are certain types of "Christians" that tend to be quite vocal against pagans, but really most pagans aren't treated too badly in this day and age... of course many don't go public with the fact that they are pagan. And look at what Jews have endured, or the misinformation that is spread about Islam just because of what fundamentalist groups do. There are even Christians that attack other Christians for believing something differently. We will never agree to disagree either which is sad. You just ignore the hate and move forward, that's all you can do.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I think for some....it is easier to condemn than try to understand.
    Personally the negative people that I have encountered, seem to me that perhaps they are shaky on their own beliefs, and rattling off bible verse.
    I would much rather have someone when asked a question...calmly state, it is just what they believe, or it is on faith, than rattle off a bunch of words they have memorized from a book.
    Without bothering to listen.....or understand what I am saying or doing.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009