Can anyone tell me why my 3 yr old is trying to be a baby?

I just had a baby in Jan. could she be jealous of her? She playes with her. It's when the baby is sleeping, she will get in the carcarer and suck on a passy. She went and stayed with her aunt for a month and came back like that. All of her cousins are older then her the youngest is 9.

elizabethsmom27

Asked by elizabethsmom27 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she wants the attention that baby is getting, my son was born in may, my dd is 3 1/2 and does this on occasion, she adores him and wants to do everything to take care of him. but when i'm taking care of him, or playing with him she will act out or start to whimper and whine like he does. she always asks when will she be little again, and tells me she wants to be a baby. just give her lots of attention, and explain that point out the fun stuff of being big, eating icecream, running, playing watching tv, point out the boring stuff about being baby, can't eat fun food, can't walk, only cries and sleeps etc..my daughter and i usually have that talk about once a week. if not more often depending on what kind of day the baby had.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• mine does that, but in small doses. I'm always like... get your thumb out of your mouth Coral!!

Her new thing is she says... mommy, carry me like a baby (after bath/shower).

Start new activities with her, that will probably take her mind off of baby
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She sees you doing more involving things with the baby so she wants to be involved as well and this is just her way of going about it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There's also the possibility that she's not sure if she's ready to grow up. At 3, most kids want BOTH to grow up and be a big kid AND to still be babied. She's probably having a hard time dealing with the fact that she's getting older - she spent time with relatives and saw that "growing up" means - less intimacy with parents in general which means a different way of relating to you guys, opening up questions like "will they still love me even though they don't hold me as much?" - and she's probably not sure she wants to let that style of relating go. Try to spend some extra special time with her, let her know that growing up is okay, but that sometimes we all want to be young again. But life is what it is...she'll soon want to be the big kid once she's assured that it doesn't mean you guys won't love her any less.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Monkey see, Monkey do. She wants attention. Maybe set aside something that you do only with her (a Big Girl activity). She can also be a big girl and help out with the baby too.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009