• In the Spotlight:

My 20 month old says very little anybody else out there who had a child with the same problem and they turned out ok?

He does say a few things daddy, bye bye, ball, hi, dog, and kitty he jabbers alot like hes trying to talk and he followa commands and if we tell him to get certain thing he will get them he points and everything he just seems stubborn any suggestions?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son, now 3, didnt really talk at all until he was 2. Your child is fine. Twenty months is not even 2 yet and he says plenty of words. Dont rush him. Hes just learning new things. ABout 2 yrs, my son finally said mamma. I thought he would never talk. Doctor and I agreed that he would talk when he was ready. Now that he is older, he does say a lot of things and certainly understands things, but he is speech delayed. I ve always known he was delayed, but you still have to let them do it in their own time. With speech issues, two things to watch for...first make sure that even though he doesnt talk much he knows what you are saying. Secondly make sure hes not regressing. Even if you feel hes moving slower than many kids his age, its okay, just make sure hes slowing progressing. If you ever see him stop progressing or go backwards, then you need to have him looked at by his doc. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my daughteris going to be 2 years on saturday and just this couple of days she is really starting to say more ewords, so don't worry some kids are just lazy because us moms do understad what they are saying.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my son just turned 2 and he is the same way but he is slowly starting to say more stuff my doctor said that he just holds the words he hears till he is sure what they are
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 1:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My niece didn't say much until 2, then a little older than 2 1/2 she just started talking like crazy. Now she non stop talks, it is exhausting.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Call Early Intervention and get that poor guy some speech therapy. Why wait for him to hopefully "catch up" when there is help available?
    Anonymous

• I am an early childhood educator. My advice is to ask your doctor first, but I wouldn't worry just yet. 20 months is still early. Jabbering is a great sign! Another great sign is following directions (hand me your cup, sit down, etc) and pointing (if he can point to something) Also, read books and eat dinner with him. Children who eat dinner with family have a higher vocabulary then children who don't eat with familyy. So try to do that at least 2 or 3 times a week (I know things get busy). Speech therapy seems a little extreme for this age.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your input he does understand much of what we"re saying like go get your shoes, etc and he does point and jabber and we also think he says more that we dont understand like yesterday he said nana he meant banana our pediatrician said to give him a couple more months and see if he picks up more words I read to him every night before bed the eating together thing sounds like an idea thank you so much everybody
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i have a 5 year old brother and he didnt start putting full sentences together till he was 4.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2009