How does one start the homeschooling process?

My husband and I are fed up with the public school systems and would like to start homeschooling but have no idea where to start? Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Welcome to the "fed up with public schools" club!! Great to have one more member. First thing is go to the county administrative offices or call the local school which he would be attending. They might could give you a number. YOu have to go in and sign a paper that basically says " I being the parent of.......intend to homeschool" blah blah blah. Once youve filed your paperwork, then begin researching which cirriculum you would like to use. There are so many. Check out many of the homeschooling groups here and they can give you suggestions. I am homeschooling a 7 yr old 2nd grader this year. My 6th grader will be attending the public school for her last year in elementary school and then I have one 10th grader attending a private christian school. Talk about diversity. I am using the abeka program for my 2nd grader, but there are some other good cirriculums. Dont stress about it. Have confidence in yourself and get support!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You should also check www.hslda.org to find out what the homeschooling laws are in your state. You may have to keep records, do testing, submit periodic reports.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Start w/ learning your state's laws: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Then look for local groups to gather more information & support. Google "homeschool + your state", "homeschool + your immediate area", & search Yahoo groups.  You can also find local homeschoolers by asking around at your local library, YMCA, places of worship, scout troops, youth sports leagues, community theater/choir, extracurriculuar/education programs, etc.

Then, decide what & how you want to teach.  There are boxed curriculums you can buy, or you can build your own, or you can use an online school.  The options here are vast & you'll most likely go through several before finding the right fit for your family.

The Happy Homeschoolers & Secular Homeschoolers groups here on CM can be an enormous help.  Check 'em out sometime.  G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009