First BM after giving birth...

After giving birth to my first child, my ob-gyn gave me Vicodin as a painkiller. I was in a lot of pain because I had an episiotomy and a lot of cramping. I didn't even know this, but Vicodin has a constipating effect. I kept taking Vicodin because of the pain I was in, and I couldn't poop at all until 8 days after I had my son ( 9 days total ). It took longer to poop than to push my baby out. Not to mention it was incredibly painful----I couldn't help but scream and I kept begging my husband and mother to knock me out. I had an epidural during the delivery, so I didn't feel any pain then at all. But when I finally pooped for the first time after the delivery....omg it felt like I was pooping steak knives. I've never been in so much pain in my life. Did anybody else have this problem? If so, did you take Vicodin or have an epidural???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The epidural being in her system had nothing to do with it, Anon. It's the fact that she was on Vicodin, which dries you up and she also had an episiotomy, which hurts like hell when you are trying to push out a dry & hard poop.

OP- The doctor should have warned you that Vicodin does that and prescribed a good stool softener for you to take. Or better yet, 800 mg. Motrin would have been a better pain killer to go with.

It is somewhat normal for it to take a while for your body to get back to a normal rhythm considering it just went through a natural, yet unusual event that it has not been through before. Take stool softeners and let your body release your next few bowel movements on it's own, without much strain. It will be SO much easier and less painful!
    PeaInMyPod

Answer by PeaInMyPod at 2:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i had the same thing happen to me. it sucked i had and epi butit failed. i felt like i was giving birth all over again,. my siter was in the bathroom with me and i actually bit her i wasnt on vicodin cuz i was bf and decided not to take it
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It felt like I was going to die. I was screaming and crying and literally begging my mom and husband to knock me unconscious.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i had an epidural and they gave me pain killers but my dr also gave me colace to help me poop ur dr dhould have too i was also put on iron pills tho too but sice u got cut like i did its gonna be hurtful to poop either way but he should have gave u somethin to help like they did me since he didnt if it still hurts try a stool softener it doesnt make u go its just makes it easier to go
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had a spinal (had a c-section with my first) and it took me almost 2 weeks to be able to go to the bathroom. I should have listened when the nurse said to take a stool softener from the day I got home, because it probably would have helped. I learned my lesson, and will be doing that this time around!
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• No pain no gain ladies! Lesson learned: next time suck it up and have the baby naturally instead of being afraid of what's to come. Giving birth with out an epidural and pain killers really isn't that bad. Once you push the baby out the pain is gone and you can poop right away, pain free!
    Anonymous

• same as adiansmommy i had perkacets and they gave me stool softner i had and epi and it worked about two hours after i gave births i got up and walked and peed, then the next day i got up and pooped and it didnt hurt it was a really good relieving feeling like you get right after the baby comes out your belly is all ahhh... its nice to be normal again. i also had to have stiches down there.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had a spinal with my c-section, yes it took awhile but I was able to go about 4 days later.

Anon, grow up....and be a bitch without the anon button, you coward!!!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon, I had a natural birth and still had this problem!
    It took me 10 days to go and it HURT!!!!!! I didn't get hemroids from having DD, but I got them from my first poo after having her, lol. And I wasn't regular for about a month. I got fiber caplets that I took 4 times a day. Next baby, I will ask for a stool softner after I have him or her.
    This is just one of the oh-so fun things that you never hear about pregnancy and birth, lol.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• but you did have the epidural in your system, even if it did "fail"
    Just saying......
    Anonymous