My daughter Megan has very crooked teeth, and she's seven. Should she get braces at this age, or should she wait till she's older?

Megan769

Asked by Megan769 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that depends if all her baby teeth are gone and her adult teeth are in. they wont give her braces other wise.. thats usally why they wait till 12-13
    Anonymous

• I have always been told you should wait until all thier adult teeth come in that way they dont have to wear them as long and theres less chance of them needing them again as an adult. and you never know they may straighten out some on their own once all her adult teeth come in
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ask a orthodontist

how would anyone on here know!

Anonymous

• Way too early. At 7, its very unlikely that she has lost all her baby teeth. They will not and should not put brackets on baby teeth. My girls both had very crooked teeth too because their mouths are so small and there was never enough room. My oldest had 4 different appliances in while she was in braces. I felt so sorry for her, but they are so pretty now. I feel like an expert, but Im not. I can only tell you what I know. Most average kids will lose all their teeth and have the adult teeth in by 12 or 13. My older dd had them all out and in by 9 so she was able to get started sooner. My second daughter, now 11 is going to the ortho today, but I think she still has a few teeth left to lose. I am going to ask him to put braces on her front teeth because they need to be pulled back and then he can do the rest later. Shes ready. Also if you start too soon, you might have to redo it. My neice had braces twice because of that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Your dentist will tell you... for some kids they will have 2 sets of braces bc their teeth are so bad. For less severe cases they will just have you wait until they are a teen.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• shut up anonymous. i had braces at 13 they wouldnt do them younger bc i had baby teeth still. i was 13 with baby teeth and they sent me to a dentist to get them removed (my adult teeth grew above them) had my adult teeth not grown in then they would have told me to wait.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• after all the baby teeth have fell out & all your adult teeth has came in. the dentist will recommend seeing an orthodontist. i was 12 when i got braces.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 12:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Talk to an orthodontist or her dentist, but at 7, I don't think she has all of her adult teeth, because her mouth wouldn't be big enough for them yet. Braces at this point might be a moot point because her teeth are going to continue to shift as her mouth grows.

However, an orthodontist or her regular dentist may have additional advice or a different opinion and would certainly be more familiar with her particular situation. If the current position of her teeth is so crooked that it's affecting her bite, they may advise braces this early to prevent additional problems in the future.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She's still pretty young and her mouth is still growing. She should wait until she's at least 13.
    Anonymous

• The orthodontist probably won't put in braces, but may recommend a retainer to ensure her permanent teeth have enough room. I had a retainer at about age 8 when my baby teeth were falling out pretty regularly, and the retainer allowed my adult teeth to come in with plenty of space. It helped a lot-- my bottom teeth are a little crowded but didn't require braces.

Get a consultation and see what is the best course for you.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009