I have a 14.5 month old son and i am trying to get him off the bottle.

He only takes milk from a bottle, all juices and H2O he drinks from a sippy cup with no problem. He just wont drink his milk from a sippy. I usually give him milk in a bottle in the AM when he wakes, the afternoon for his nap and before bed- but i can't get him to drink the milk from a sippy cup. Do i just stop with the bottles and eventually he will take the milk from the sippy?? today I offered the milk in a sippy cup before nap, he wouldnt take it so I just put him in his crib, he went to sleep without it... do I just do this till he will take it from a sippy? I feel bad just eliminating milk till he chooses to drink it from a cup, but is that what i have to do?

haileyd7

Asked by haileyd7 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would do exactly that, throw away all those bottles, and if he wont take milk from a sippy, I'd eliminate the juice for awhile too..if his only choices are water from a sippy and milk from a sippy..hes eventually choose the milk, but if you give him the option of juice, any kid would pick the juice. Juice isnt a necassary thing, its a treat..dont reward him for not drinking his milk.
    2boymama

Answer by 2boymama at 12:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Keep up with what you are doing. He will take it from a sippy eventually. Switch his milk routine. Give him a cup of milk with his breakfast, lunch, and dinner, not at bed times. Don't feel bad because you are doing what's best for him. In a week or two he won't even care or ask. It's better to get this done now because here in a month or two he'll start giving you a little attitude or throw a fit if you don't give him what he wants and it will be much harder on you then.
    Anonymous

• Try either giving him only water in his bottle or something he doesnt like in it but everything else from the sippy cup more than likely he will get tired of the bottle
    XandersMomma07

Answer by XandersMomma07 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Stop giving him bottles. He doesn't need them if he can drink from a sippy cup. As soon as he started the cup, the bottle should have been taken then.

Put ONLY milk in a sippy. Don't give him anything else until he drinks the milk. Give him a cup of milk with each meal and that's it. He can drink water or other things throughout the day.
    Anonymous