Has anyone here tried adding rice cereal to their newborn's formula?

I heard that it lets them sleep longer through the night. My baby is going on 6 weeks old, and lately she hasn't slept at night. I think she has her days and nights mixed up, and I need to get her on a better schedule.

I want to try this, but don't know which level nipples to use on the bottles, or if I have to buy wide opening nipples. I use the Dr. Brown bottles, if anyone knows please let me in on the trick.

Thanks.

lilmizknoitall

Asked by lilmizknoitall at 12:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my first lil girl i started her on ceral at 3 weeks becasue she would have colic and cry and cry it was the only way not too lose my mind and to get her to sleep. she did fine with it. i now have a newborn but lucky me he is a great baby we wake up at midnight, 4am, and 9am and eat. and then he just lays there when he wakes up he hardly ever crys only when its time to change his butt.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i used to oatmeal in my sons formula when he was about 12 days is when that started
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• just feed ur baby more formula give them 6 ounces if ur giving 3 and 4 ir ur giving 2 for a baby that is 6 weeks feed them 4 onces every 2-3 hours dont give cereal yet adn ur not supposed to put it in the bollte even though they make the ones that can my pedi said no ,y son is now 5 months drinks 8oz every 4 hours and eats rice ceral for breakfast and eat baby food fruits and veggies but i feed it to him never in the bottle laddies ur child needs to learn how to eat and if there 6 weeks they only need formula.....
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but adding rice to a bottle actually has the opposite effect. Their tummies are so small that they will eat less formula or milk because it is very hard for them to digest the cereal. Babies dont know that night time means sleep time.
    Anonymous

• No because...

it isn't recommended unless advised by a pediatrician usually for reflux.

If you give them cereal, they take less formula thus fewer calories, so they just need more formula later. They will actually wake up MORE hungry than without cereal.

It's a choking hazard if you don't have it completely mixed together.

It's unnecessary for their nutrition.
    Anonymous

• My baby had reflux and so my dr told me to give her 2 tablespoons of rice in a 6 ounce bottle. I did that from the time she was 3 months on. As for nipples, that was too thick to go through the small nipples so you can either just use the tip of a clean knife or needle to widen the hole a little or buy medium flow nipples.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would talk to your babies Pediatrician before adding anything to the formula. The first few months of life they should only need milk. Their tummies are so sensitive and they go through growth sprurts where they will want more to eat more often. This is JMO so like I said I would talk to your babies Dr.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i have a 3 month old and i have been giving her cereal since she was 2 months. She likes it but it doesnt make her sleep through the night i give it to her for the first bottle of the morning! if you give them too many bottles it will constipate them!
    keldon09

Answer by keldon09 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• oh and also you have to use wide nipple holes it wont come through the dr. brown bottles i use a nuk bottle but i cut the nipple hole. it works perfect
    keldon09

Answer by keldon09 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't do it with a newborn. There bellies are sensitive. I did add a little to my 4 month old's bottle to help him sleep better. It worked! Big Time! It filled his tummy and kept it full longer. It is really normal for infants to get up a few times each night. You expectations might be too high if you are trying to him him/her to sleep throughout the night at that age. Even when I get my 4 month old cereal he didn't sleep the whole night. He slept 6.5 h ours instead of 3.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009