Pagans - How do you feel? Please read ENTIRE Question!!(Feel free to answer anon)

What is your true view of Christians? What do you know of their beliefs and how do you view them? What if your child became Christian? What message would you like to get to all Christians? And finally do you feel persicuted by them?

I see alot of talk about Pagans by Christians and Christians by Pagans... and unfortunately alot of mud slinging... So, I am looking for honest answers.

**Note to Christians... Please alow the Pagans to speak their mind without bashing their beliefs or views. While I know this could be hard, I want them to have the ability to be honest. I want to know what people really think about each other, not a fight...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What is your true view of Christians? I try not to judge them as a group, as I know that every Christian is different just like every Republican is different. 

What do you know of their beliefs and how do you view them? I know a lot about Christianity from a theological / philosophical & mythological point of view, but I don't know a great deal about their more personal beliefs. I have a problem with people who follow the majority religion without examining it just because it is the majority religion. I also see some faults in monotheism (in general) that bother me so I hate to see them perpetuated. But I respect that my view isn't shared by all & that many Christians have made educated decisions about their spiritual life.

What if your child became Christian? I would be surprised but more or less ok with it. My only issue would be the perpetuation of monotheism (mentioned above).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What message would you like to get to all Christians? Many don't need any message from me, some I would like to remind that just because they are the majority, doesn't mean their way is the "normal" way & majority doesn't rule in the public expression of spirituality.

And finally do you feel persicuted by them? By most, no, by a few, yes.

nysa00

• I think most are a good lot who try to live by what their faith teaches and try to do right. Unfortunately, I think there are many who have narrow, if not closed, minds and hearts who are so absorbed by what they believe their faith teaches that they see nothing else or fear seeing anything else for fear it will lead them to hell or something.

I was christian for most of my life. Probably more devout then many you see but then I peeked outside my pretty box and saw there was a lot more to God then just what Id been taught.

Nothing wrong with it. It is what it is and to each their own. Just that some need to learn that concept as well...to each their own. We arent damned, we arent needing to be saved, and many times we know more then they do or at least as much, because we were there once ourselves.

Cont'd....
    Anonymous

• Cont'd...
    My children can choose their own paths. As long as they remember to respect others and let others live their own happiness(like we are teaching them now).

One message....live and let live. We are happy, we arent being decieved,etc. As much as you may love to believe that...its not FACT. Its only something your faith teaches and thats alright but learn more respect and live/let live attitudes(not all have this attitude you know).

As far as persecuted...nah.
    Anonymous

• What is your true view of Christians?-- I try not to judge anyone for what they believe in...tho some are more passionate than others and can get louder than some.
    I was raised Lutheran so I understand the concept of being a Christian tho as I have said b4, I never fit within those walls. As for our gs, he is being raised with the knowledge of both my religion and of his grandfathers, (Lutheran) and any and all questions that come will be answered by both of us to the best of abilities to assure that our gs grows up with an open mind knowing that you don't have to follow only one path, that YOU as a person have a choice and NOT to let others taunt you or push you into something that you are not interested just bc they say so...

continue...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Continued...
    What message would you like to get to all Christians? -- We are NOT the Evil they or some proclaim we are.. That we are NOT being lead a stray and that we ARE very Happy in our choice of beliefs, if we were not we would not be where we are at now....And finally do you feel persicuted by them? ... Personally No, but I have seen some fellow Pagans and Atheist friends get attacked horribly by some (not all) Christians.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What is your true view of Christians?
    All of my family and many of my friends are Christian of various varieties, I love them regardless of their theological opinions, just as I would love them regardless of their political opinion, even though I might find it disappointing. As for everyone else, I judge a person on their actions (including their words), one of which is their ability to respect the beliefs of others. There are wonderful individuals that are Christian, just as there are horrible people that are Christian.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What do you know of their beliefs and how do you view them?
    I was raised Christian and in my estimation I would say that I have either participated in or observed enough of a variety of Christian services to have a range of experiences.

As know what I think of Christian beliefs--well, that would depend on whose beliefs we are talking about, there are about 38,000 denominations of "Christian" out there (not including individual churches and individuals that claim to be 'non-denominational'. I find that the beliefs Christians to range from intolerant, illogical, ill conceived and ignorant to insightful and quite beautiful--just as I see many of the beliefs of Pagans.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What if your child became Christian?

I think it would depend what kind of Christian they became, and how far from the values that we taught them they strayed...I would still love them, but if they became like Fred Phelps or something, don't think I would like them or respect their choices very much, and I am pretty sure I would be quite disappointed.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What message would you like to get to all Christians?
    Most Pagans find the prostylization and evangelizing quite annoying and disrespectful and feel inclined to respond in kind (annoyingly and disrespectfully). We already know that some of you think we are going to hell, and we really aren't impressed by your opinion--its not the first time we have heard it. If you are trying to be a good ambassador for your faith, your beliefs would be better served by being a good person that by proclaiming your faith--particularly in a manner that is insulting and offensive.

And finally do you feel persecuted by them?
    As a whole? No. By certain individuals? Upon occasion.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009