How to help a child pee?

My son had tests run this morning in which he had to have a catheter. Now, he is afraid to pee because it hurts. I gave him tylenol, but I don't know what else to do to help him go.

mamagoose718

Asked by mamagoose718 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm not really sure. I went back and read your journel and I know very little about this other than I had this problem when I was pregnant. So not really the same thing... I would maybe try encouraging him to relax and may have him sit in a warm bath to see if that can help him relax to go.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i agree with the pp a warm bath thats what my dds dr told me to do for her when she after they had to use a cath on her because she wouldn't pee becasue of a uti
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I just had surgery and a catheter was used too. I'm having problems peeing right now also. It 's not so much that it hurts, but that I literally have to wait and wait and wait for the pee to actually come out. Your son may be experiencing the same thing. It's a very odd feeling and I'm sure for a child it must be scary. I don't blame him for being afraid it'll hurt. Gee, I wish I knew what to say to help. Try sitting him on the potty and let the water run from the faucet. That helps sometimes. And sometimes, I've heard that while in a warm bath or shower, it will automatically trigger you to pee.
    Goodness I hope he feels better soon. I'll say prayers. God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• lots of water and a warm bath
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009