What if you heard a voice in your head...

that said it was God and it was telling you to do terrible things like kill? Would you do them or would you assume it was Satan or perhaps some mental breakdown?

I ask because there are instances in the Bible where God ordered the killing of people and now a days it just seems like if that were to happen, it would automatically be assmued the person was crazy or Satan was messing with them. How is a person supposed to differentiate between what voices are good, bad or a figment of a disturbed mind?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 1:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the problem you are getting at is that someone, anyone, could say "God told me to kill" and that there is a precedent for that in the Bible.

I don't think any of us would be okay with that idea.

But I do get what you are trying to say. And as an athiest, it probably infuriates you to see killing done in the name of God (it makes me mad too). Obviously that person would have a mental problem or would be lying and saying God told them to do it to get off the hook.

But what happened as God moved Israel into the promised land was righteous judment agaisnt a group of wicked people. And I personally would never believe anyone who claimed God told them to commit acts of violence. I think God dealt differently with Israel in the OT, He physically led them with a pillar of smoke and fire. He was beginning His work in them that culminated in the Messiah, and now He has people in every nation, so it is different.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would call a good therapist

*~*
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 1:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• HaHa... I'm Schizophrenic I hear them all the time... LOL! No, they aren't God or the Devil. And if they ever told me to kill, I would head straight for the loony bin!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Schizophrenia comes immediately to mind. Almost nothing was known about mental illness in biblical times, so it should be no surprise the voices were attributed to a god or demon.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Id make an appt to see a dr and then get a counseling referral.

The Divine I honor and respect wouldnt ask that of me and since I dont believe in Satan Id assume I was having a PPD issue or something like that and seek help.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• See this is the problem, those people in the bible were ordered to do something we now think of as sin- but back then it was a resonable request from God. Why is it not today?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Therapy here I come. Seriously if I heard a voice in my head I would head straight to the nearest mental health facility. (other than my own "voice"pondering things in my own mind, however that isn't a voice because I don't "hear" it, I'm thinking it. )
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• IF YOU HEARD ANY VOICE IN YOUR HEAD OTHER THAN YOUR OWN, RUN DO NOT WALK TO THE NEAREST MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY.

Answer by older at 1:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• The Bible says that those who belong to the Lord will know His voice and that they will follow Him. There is also the knowledge that God will never ask you to do nor grant you permission to do anything that is not in accordance with His written word. It also teaches that there is safety in multitude of counsel, so that we are never to act on anything without talking to our fellow Christians and asking them to pray with us, seeking God's will in any given circumstance. There are all kinds of safeguards that are built in to God's kingdom to prevent us from doing anything that He would not have us to do. We also have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit who, when we are living lives that are obedient to Him, will always protect us by warning us when anything is not of God. So, any person who sort of "goes off" on his own is not living by the Word of God. That much is for certain.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• God speaks to your heart, not your head.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009