what can I take for constipation?

I'm 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I asked my midwife what I can take for constipation because after ds was born I didn't poop for a week and when I finally did it was the size of a baseball and as hard as a rock... no joke on that either... at the time I was staying with my mother who put this acid up my butt to eat away but I still had to dig the poop out... anyways I don't want that to happen again but all the midwife did was told me prune juice which makes me want to throw up... she also gave me a handout on what to eat (which I already do) so she was no help... please let me know what's safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i like plum smart it taste good it's healthy and it works!!!
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My doctor told me to take colace, it worked for me! Good Luck!
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well.. you can take some supplement oils (flax seed) to help in the long run
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• When I had my daughter they told me to take stool softners and drink millk of magnesia. They told me take those unless I wanted to have a painful bowl movement and rip my stitches down there from pushing so hard.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I took some sort of chewable fiber tablets, I forget what brand.
    You can also ask about a stool softner after you give birth.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I always was given colace at the hospital after birth. It worked fine for me.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009