How to get baby to sleep past their Biological clock times?

I am just wondering how to get my baby to sleep past his bilogical clock times. He wakes up at 12 every night and doesnt even eat much maybe a ounce if that, then wakes up again at 3:45 which then he eats and is up like an hour to 2, then wakes again at 6:30 and doesnt really eat just falls back to sleep after 30 min if that. So i know hes not waking to feed and since they are like on the dot times i know its just his bilogical clock and id like to get him to sleep longer. Also how young were your kids when you started the Cry out method?

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never started the cio method, nor will I. What you might want to try is not feeding him at these times and comforting him instead. This worked with my baby when she was 5 months old. She wasn't hungry, but woke up after an hour. We started rocking her for a while. After about a week, she slept through that previous wake time.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Never used CIO and never will. There are better, more effective ways of helpin your child learn to sleep longer periods than making them cry until they've get to tired to scream for someone to comfort them anymore and fall asleep.

I agree with the PP...If you know he's not hungry to comforting him instead of feeding him at those times.

Also check out the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution." It's worked wonders for many many families.
    Anonymous

• Around 3 months I started letting my kids fuss a little. I wouldn't necessarily say I let them cry it out - I kept a close eye on the clock and never let them cry for longer then 10 mins, or let them cry if they were just wailing. But if they woke up and were just fussing, I gave them a few mins to roll over, calm themselves down, and go back to sleep - with each of my kids they had a small 6 in square "lovey" that i wore during the day so it had my scent on it at night, which seemed to help and i had a "hearbeat bear" that i attached to the side of their crib which was sound activated and would mimic what they hear when laying on my chest. Worked wonders in soothing them!

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I NEVER did the cio!! I don't recommend that to any one. It makes your child loose trust in you! And like the PP said, don't feed at those times you know he's not hungry. My DD's ped said the same thing. I was trying to ween her from so many feedings at night. Ped told me to wait an extra 15 minutes to feed. And then a few times later wait 30 min. And then the next few times wait 45 min. until you get them on the schedule that fits for the both of you. In your case, he is already weened himself from that feeding but still wakes...because you still feed! If he is not eating more than a couple ounces, then he can wait till next feeding. Just comfort him back to sleep at those times.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• OH YA!! And, also like the PP said, something with your smell on it works WONDERS!!! I had a hard time for a while at her first couple growth spurt keeping her in her own bed. I put one of my t-shirts I had slept in a couple nights under her bed sheet (so there was no chance she would get caught in it. she was still only a couple months or younger.). It seemed to help A LOT!!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009