Why do some kids act this way....?

I babysit two kids ages 3 & 4 they are really good kids while here with me but as soon as their mom or dad get here to pick them up...OMG! they change they start doing things they are not supposed to and I tell them Hey! Why are you doing that you know that is not good, please don't do that. And the parents are like just there looking sometimes they just wait til they dart out the door. Sometimes I wonder who is the boss here...LOL I know my kids don't do that bc they know I will take care of them when we get home. And if they try to sneak one in I will somehow find out maybe not right away but it will all come out sooner or later...LOL Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids are like that. They are awesome for my family and in daycare settings but they can be total jerks for me. I am not overly permissive they just feel they can be awful for my dh and I.

For some kids, I guess it's normal.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 1:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I think they are testing their parents and you, seeing if the same rules apply. You need to do the same thing you would do for the misbehavior if their parents are there or not. And talk to the parents and have them back you up.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son is the same way.. and it isn't because I give in to him.. He is a little angel as long as i'm not around but as soon as I walk in the door OMG he's horrible.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I also babysit for a couple kids while mine are in school. When their parents pick up, it like they turn into maniacs. I would ask the parents not let them do that, and they parents just didn't bother inforcing my house rules. So i had to start enforcing them in front of the parents. I've even put their kids in time out with them standing there. Now, the parents help me out. If not, oh well, my house, my rules. My kids have to follow the same rules.

On the flip side, my kids act a little wild when i go to pick them up at my mom's. They are soooo good for my mom, then i come in, and....What the? I don't let them get away with it though. I ask them if it's allowed at grandma's house, and either it is, or they stop:)

All kids will test, especially when two authority figures are present. They will see if they can get away with it, or who, of the two, will say something. It's all normal behavior.
    Anonymous

• For some kids, it's not testing...it's a RELEASE from being on their best behavior ALL DAY with somone else and they know that no matter what they do, Mom and Dad will still love them, so they can relax and let loose for a bit. Yes, they'll be disciplined, but they need the release and to just let it all go for a few moments...don't we all? Most people need their "escapes" from good behavior, but children are just more into it than we are.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree with the pp, most kids are better for other people than they are for their parents. Mainly because they know their parents will never hurt them or leave them, whereas with other people that security isn't there. So when mom and dad show up, they let loose a little.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009