Obesity effects ALL of us...what do you think needs to be done to lower the childhood (and adulthood) obesity rates?

Most people are quick to blaim the parents and be done with it. BUT while parents are certainly the ones buying the groceries, serving the portions of food, in charge of how much exercise a child gets and generally responsible for the weight and health of their child this is a problem OUR SOCIETY has.

I read a while back the the USA is #1 in the WHOLE WORLD for obesity!!! And a news report last week said that up to 50% of all 3 years olds in the US are OBESE!!! And researches think that the number of over weight children could be up to 80% in some areas of the US.

We need to do something about this as a society. This is a problem for ALL of us. Our children are becoming less and less healthy, people are dieing earlier from obesity related diseases and health care cost are rising.

What do you think we could do as a society to lower the childhood (and adult) obesity rates?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• INSTILL IN A VERY EARLY AGE THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER NUTRITION AND EXCERCISE, I WOULD SAY LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

Answer by older at 1:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• This may sound bitchy of me, but I don't feel the need to do anything about it. My family eats healthy, exercise and are far from obese. We run around outside, go for evening walks with the dog, go swimming, ride bikes. We enjoy occasional fast food and eat some processed foods, but we also enjoy lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I take care of my family and feel no need to take care of someone else's. I donate to charities and care about others, but I am not responsible for how other people feed their children.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Nothing. I don't live in a socialist society. Take responsibility for your own lives and actions. We don't need to take responsibility for your child being obese. You do.
    Anonymous

• Excercise and eating right! Of course the parents are to blame if their kid is overweight. Give them an apple and get off the couch! Teach by example!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• All we can do is monitor our own/our children's lifestyle.
    We can't force anyone into healthy choices.

Our portions sizes in America are absolutely outragious.. because in our country bigger is often better.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 1:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• SOCIETY doesn't need to do anything. This isn't a social issue.

People must learn to take responsiblity for themselves and their families.

Personally, I think it is easy to eat healthy. Stay out of the drive thru's and don't buy the processed crap. Cook from scratch and go easy on the sugar and fats. Add a little activity to your life. It's not rocket science. It is common sense.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Get rid of all the fast food restaurants!
    Anonymous

• I agree with MandyOs, the portion sizes are ridiculous. When my DH & I go out to eat, were generally share a meal. We went to one restaurant and split a burrito, and seriously, it was big enough to feed my entire family of four! My DH and I split it and still couldn't finish it.

What bugs me is plates, bowls, silverware, coffee mugs and drinking glasses keep getting bigger and bigger. No wonder portions are going up. Go look at the size of dinner platters made in 1950 compared to the one's made today.  It's just weird.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Get RID of fast food restaurants.
    Exercise portion control and healthy eating in school lunches.
    Ban transfats, corn syrup, etc, in processed foods.
    Make fresh meats, fruits, veggies, and such more affordable.
    Get rid of huge food companies, turn them into smaller, more local companies.
    Stop deep-frying EVERYTHING.
    Education, education, education.

This epidemic is everybody's problem.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Oh, and make crap food more expensive. I wouldn't complain if I saw McMeals skyrocket to $15-20 a meal.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009