Im a little confused about when to introduce baby food....

My friend said her ped said to start next month. He will be 4 months. I thought it was 6 months. That is what my ped told me. When do you start introducing baby foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started at 4 months but just on plain baby rice :) then at 6 months he started trying all the other wonderful baby food there is out there lol sweet potatoes being a favourite and which is easy to do at home instead of buying it in a jar.
    Anonymous

• well i have a 3 month 3 week old and she has already been trying baby foods, I know they say to start at 4 months and 6 months but i started giving her cereal at 2 months and she's been trying baby foods since she was 3 months, she absolutely loves them too, of course she only takes a few bites but I give it to her anyway!
    keldon09

Answer by keldon09 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• all four of my kids started on cereal at 4 months, which was pretty much the accepted age when my oldest was born. Now more pedis are saying to wait until 6 months. It's up to you and what seems right for you and your child. A lot of ppl start with rice cereal, but mine all like the baby oatmeal better.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• if u ff at 4 mts if u bf at 6mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• piwife...WHAT? English please. This is not a text, nor is it an instant message.

The standard recommendation is 6 months (breast or formula fed). Most start between 4-6 months. It's more when you feel the baby is ready than anything.

Ours started baby food at 4 months.
    Anonymous

• As early as four months and when they are ready, meaning they can hold their head up well and have interest in solid foods. I say at around the four month mark, start with some rice cereal that is mixed with formula or breast milk to make it pretty runny. Try it out. Your baby shouldn't be pushing the food out with his/her tongue. If baby isn't ready, wait a week or so and try again.

I waited until six months because my baby's digestive system wasn't ready for solids. She got tummy aches and constipation from cereal, so our pediatrician said to wait until six months. Some babies are ready earlier. Some later.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Then her doctor is going against AAP, WHO, and several other medical professional organizations.

KELLYMOM.COM

Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature. If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months.... Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It is NOT about "when you feel the baby is ready;" it is about how long the digestive track takes to mature (open gut), and when they have the necessary gastric juices for digestion. How early one starts solids can impact the function of their gut for their entire lives.

Babies do not "need" solids for the first year; only formula or bm is necessary. Also, early use of cereal has been anecdotally linked to later development of IBS in older teens and adults.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It all depends on your baby. If your baby is hungry after each feeding still then try some baby rice first. My daughter first ate cereal at 2 months old because she was always to hungry. Her doctor said as long as she is taking it well and is going poop still then there isn't a problem. Your baby is the boss at this point.
    Anonymous