Has this every happened to you?

My son plays with this little girl from next door and her Dad came over today and had to tell me what they did together last night. Apparently they were playing house together and were showing each other their privates. Has anyone ever had to deal with this before? They are both 5yr old kids. I know that they are just curious and all but I felt so bad when this parent came and told me.

newlifewith3

Asked by newlifewith3 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have the privates are private talk. We don't show, let anyone else see or touch our privates.
    We keep them covered except when going to the bathroom while out of the house.
    ( had to have this talk today cause my daughter decided to strip her clothes of on the front porch and my son followed suit by dropping his towel- he was bare under (we were all playing in the rain, spontaneous moment, and I was grabbing a towel for her)
    Then this PM he tried to walk into the bathroom when their friend from next door was using it.
    AHHHH!!!!!
    Is it 5 yr. olds push privates privacy limits week????
    Anonymous

• Wow I haven't had to deal with that, but my sister in laws daughter kissed a boy and they are 5 too, maybe it is the age? Only problem with them was they are cousins - now they know that you can't kiss your cousin.
    kR1star

Answer by kR1star at 1:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• When my son started kindergarden and took the bus I got a phone call that my son and another boy flashed their privates to the other children. Why we don't know, Yes it was weird but my son was really upset. We never really brought it up again. He knew it was wrong.
    Anonymous

• I know that my son will think that he is in trouble about this, which he's not I just need to sit down and talk with him about how wrong it is to show anyone your privates. I feel bad to have this talk with him. I have to talk to his Dad about this so I might get him to explain this to. Then when he gets home tonight I will talk about it with him as well.
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I haven't dealt w/ this but I hear this kind of thing is very common. That said, I have talked to both my kids about not sharing their privates with anyone else unless they are peeing at school because "we just don't do that." I tell them it's inappropriate to do that in public but they can run naked in my house.
    Anonymous