Is it not normal to go past 40 weeks?

My sisters mom asked how far along I am. I told her 40wks 2days. She can't belive they haven't induced me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its perfectly normal. I went into labor on my own at 40 weeks and 6 days. And then they induced me with my second when i was 41 weeks. As long as your baby is healthy they will let you go until they can't anymore. Don't worry about it :)
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 1:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well my sister in law went 42 weeks if the baby looks ok and the fuild looks ood you can go... they just worry the baby will get to big to come out... but my mother had my brother at 10 1/2pounds so ya
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• 40 weeks is just an AVERAGE so yes it's completely normal to go to 40 weeks. I mean in our society today most babies are probably born at 38 weeks but it's not a safe practice. Induction is not without risk. Most first time moms don't have their baby until 40 weeks and like 6 days. PM me if you want info on due dates and inductions.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Babies are not too big for mothers unless the mother has gestational diabetes or the mom is forced to push flat on her back. If everything is fine though the baby will come out.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Sure! It is no problem as long as the OB is keeping a close eye on you and the baby, performing stress or non-stress tests, and ultimately doing and ultrasound if you go too many weeks late to be sure the placenta is still functional.
    I went 43 weeks with my first child and had to be induced because an ultrasound showed the placenta was not working to its fullest capacity. My daughter was born perfectly healthy, though.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with all the answers above. As long as your baby is fine then it's okay. I was 42w1day when my son decided to come out lol I didn't want to be induced but had regular check ups just make sure he was fine in there
    QueenT091704

Answer by QueenT091704 at 7:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes, especially if it's your first child.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• 50% of women do, or did before OB's got so agressive and the c-section rate sky rocketed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Totally normal.

Neither of my kids were born before 40 weeks. Daughter was 9 days over due, we induced because she was starting to stress a little. Son was born 3 days late, he came on his own.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 8:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yep totally normal. You aren't even considered overdue until 42 weeks!

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2009