Do you think the government should own all the water in the united states?

Excepting groundwater.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous 11:03,
    I wish I had your faith in gov't agencies and the way that gov't regulations get carried out in real life.

But I can't go there, because I live in California, where a wildflower can shut down a 3-generation family farm and force them to sell off in order to meet their monthly bills. "What harm," you would ask, "could it do to have gov't protect a simple flower which is dying out?"

So I KNOW the very real danger of having the gov't own ANYTHING. So did the men who wrote the Constitution, who had just endured being subject to a gov't system which claimed general ownership, and disregarded the welfare of the inhabitants.

Think: if the gov't owned that lake, they could require you to move away to protect it from possible sewage run-off, or cigarette smoke drifting into the nostrils of the native waterfowl.

Don't underestimate environmental activists. They have already accomplished far more ridiculous
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anonymous

• Yes. They already do, don't they?
    Anonymous

• No. But this bill would give them ownership. Why do you think they should? I don't because I think that would give them too much control.
    Anonymous

• I own lake front property, but the state owns the actual lake. Sooo.
    Anonymous

• So if you owned a lake on a farm then it would be taken from you in the form of ownership. Everything you do with that would be regulated. I am not talking about public lands. That I understand. I am talking about privately owned water sources.
    Anonymous

• Well, what would I be doing with that lake on my farm? Watering my animals? Maybe doing a little fishing? The government isn't going to stop me. What the hell are they going to do, hire a private agent to stand over it at all times? Fill it up with sand? No.
    Anonymous