do you go tanning????

International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming both to be as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas.

For years, scientists have described tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation as "probable carcinogens."

A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. ExpertsPreviously, only one type of ultraviolet radiation was thought to be lethal.

The new classification means tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation are definite causes of cancer, alongside tobacco, the hepatitis B virus and chimney sweeping, among others.

The research was published online in the medical journal Lancet Oncology today by experts at the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization.

Crushersmommy

Asked by Crushersmommy at 1:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• Never never never.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• GOOD!!! i know some of my friends do and i hate it!!!!!

Crushersmommy

Answer by Crushersmommy at 3:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• NO way. I am okay with my pasty fair skin. If I do get a burn outside, it does not turn into a tan. It fades back to pasty skin a few days later. My ex neighbor tans every day on her lunch break and it shows--she is starting to look like a beef jerky.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I heard this on the news this morning, too.

Answer by Bmat at 3:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• No I don't go tanning, and i wear sunscreen if I am outside for any extended period of time. My kids wear sunscreen even if we are only going out for an hour. Skin cancer runs in my family, and the majority of sun damage is done before the age of 18, so I choose to protect myself and my kids. No tan is a healthy tan.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I also have an uninformed friend who LOVES to tan, outside every single day. I have told her that tanning leads to skin cancer but she thinks it makes her look so good so she doesn't care. It's 100 out today and she is happy because she can go "top off" her tan. Some people just want to stick there heads in the sand and pretend anything that looks good is healthy I guess.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have Natural pale light Fair Skin & light Blue Eyes! I've gotten tanned acouple times in my Life! I looked SO pretty! But Its not worth the possiblity of A skin problem or Damage! So I preach to Everyone.. to be Sun Safe! Especially starting with young Babies & toddlers! One can never be too Careful! However many of people my Age used to tan. They all look so much older then I do. I can pass to be my own DD's sister. Not Bragging.You can't replace your skin. Its your biggest major organ & its all you've got! Let's get the thing going... Pale is In!! Lok At Nicole Kidman she stays Pale! It works for her she's got Keith Urban!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ladies please tell your friends and family of what can happen!!! this is horrible...yeah were all gonna die one day and yeah it "makes you look good" but why cut our lives shorter????

Crushersmommy

Answer by Crushersmommy at 11:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2009