What would you have done in this situation?? So Upset

Hi everyone

My children were giving a chiweenie like five months ago buy a neighbor. Well, yesterday the neighbors child came and asked for the dog back. When she first asked i was just so at shock that i told the child to just take her. The problem i have now is that my son is so upset. I mean we had got attached to her and for them to just ask for her back like that was rude and unforgivable. I probably should have said no but i had no papers on here and i wasn't sure if they did. I live on post and i would hate for them to go say we took the dog. I told my children that nice people don't give something to someone and months later come back and ask for it back. I don't agree with the way the mother acted on this and i try to keep my children from being involved with them.. Please, am i wrong for this? We loved that dog like we had raised her our whole lives. Please any response will help me.

Thanks

MrsMoss88

Asked by MrsMoss88 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pets

• It makes me very sad that you have had this happen. No wonder you are all upset. I would have called the mother and worked it out with her. It wasn't up to the child to ask for the dog back. Go to a shelter and find another deserving furry friend that is desperate for a home. It will be good for you and the children and the dog.

Answer by Bmat at 1:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Maybe you shouldve called the parent first to make sure it wasnt just the child missing the dog.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That is horrible. I'm sorry :( you really do get attached to pets in a short amount of time. Why did they ask for the dog back?? I don't think that you had to give the dog back. Maybe you should talk to them and try to figure it out. But I think you are right to be upset about it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the replies, Actually another neighbor came over and explained that they weren't suppose to have given the dog away. She lives next to them and the hubby is deployed and will be home soon. He was attached to the dog and i guess the mother used the child to get the dog back before her hubby returned home. I am going to a shelter today to pick us out a family dog. But it still hurts, when i come in the house and not hear her bark it hurts my feelings, even now just talking about her. How do people do such things?
    MrsMoss88

Answer by MrsMoss88 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I cannot believe they did that! I would never have asked for a puppy back months after! Hopefully you will find a deserving dog at the shelter and your son will bond quickly with it. Hope it all works out!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• that was crappy for the wife to give away a pet that her husband loved. who would do that crap?
    Anonymous

• Oh, nice, so you were basically dogsitting but didn't know it. How special! When he gets home you should go over and mention to him that your child is upset that they took the dog back, hee hee. Then he'll know what she did (assuming he doesn't know).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wow, sounds like she was just using you until the hubby came home. How sad. Do go to the shelter though. It's a great way to get a pet and they are usually very appreciative. My dog's a shelter dog and he's the sweetest thing ever! Took a while for him to realize we weren't leaving, though. When we moved, he freaked out over all the boxes but then when he saw he was coming with us and he got to the new house he was so happy and amuch better behaved dog.
    Anonymous

• Oh I would be telling that husband as soon as he gets home. She used you as a dog sitter because she obviously didnt like the dog. I'd be asking for some kind of compensation for your time and money you put into feeding and loving it. I know you cant really put a money value on love but seriously...she wronged you financially and morally. Good luck at the shelter. I hope you are able to get some kind of justice out of this, even if it is just telling the husband what a wonderful wife he has.
    Anonymous

• so the husband deploys and the wife gives HIS dog away so she doesn't have to deal with the dog while he is gone. Wife freaks out and needs dog back before hubs gets home to avoid any issues? The woman sounds like a gem. And I agree with anon...she wanted a pet sitter ... fine. Knock on the door when hubs gets home let him know you watched the dog the whole time he was deployed and since your children got attached but you were forced to give the dog back your fees for dog sitting is this amount. Smile and make sure wifey knows.
    Anonymous