Tax rebates for gym memberships or exercise equipment?

Do you think that the government should give tax rebates or credits to us if we show proof of buying a gym membership or buying a piece of exercise equipment?

I know that SOME insurance companies will reimburse a portion of a gym membership. Years ago, I bought a whole year for about $300 and I was given a check back from insurance for $150.

Should the government do an incentive like this to motivate people to get in shape?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 1:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ... I LIKE it !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ... but it goes without saying that having private insurances offer incentives for this type of thing (similar to what car insurances do for good drivers) would be VASTLY superior to getting the gov't involved.

For one thing, the private incentives would - of course - be far larger than any gov't tax reduction.

It looks like private insurance is already on the ball with this, and we should let them stay in business. ... So let's NOT pass this Health Insurance "Reform"
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Why somebody needs to give us something? Why are people need of somebody giving them money just because they go to the gym. Can we just take personal responsibility . It is your own HEALTH,so take care of that!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. Why do we need the govt to incentivise us to take care of OURSELVES??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I see you point about the personal accountability, but then I think about all the people in this world who do not have any. I think about my friend who feeds her children McDonald's 4x/week. I think about lots of people who I know are overweight and obese. I think about how many "fad" diets I've heard my friends and family try. From "cleansing" to Weight Watchers and everything in between! Something tells me that if half of these people just get in a gym, even once a week, that people would stick to healthier living. MANY MANY MANY people I talk to complain about how expensive gym memberships are. This would help, at least open some doors for people who can't afford it.

Let's not forget that Uncle Sam is willing to help get us new cars, but not help us get healthier?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes, I think this is a good idea. It's offering INCENTIVE for goof behavior.Opposed to government picking up the tab for certain preventable health care issues and rewarding bad behavior

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• lol good. not goof... he he he..
    grlygrlz2

• should've been part of the stimulus package! cut people's pork! hehehe

Plus, gym business would increase and create jobs, right??? staff and personal trainers!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Hey since we're going to be forced to become dependent on the government, might as well become a taker!! If they want to give me a tax rebate...I might just make my basement into a complete home gym--refresh my Personal Trainer license, and start a little home business--under the table of course!!! Shhhhhh!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009