17 month old trouble in restaurant - help...

My dd is 17 months old and I'm having a terrible time taking her out to eat - especially for lunch. Now I know that this usually pushes her nap time back a little - which is part of the problem. But I cannot get her to sit in a high chair for more than 5 minutes without throwing a fit. I've tried colors, snacks, and anything else I can give her to keep her occupied. Nothing seems to help. Is this just a phase that most go through or am I doing something wrong???

I have also started having a terrible time keeping her in a grocery cart - but I now bribe her with suckers to get her to sit there long enough to get us through the store. I feel like I can't give her a sucker at the dinner table though...

Please give me any advice.

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you get to the restaurant, let her run around outside for ten minutes before she needs to sit down. Explain to her before you go inside that you need her to sit until lunch is over. Then go for the coloring, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Your grocery cart part reminded me of what my mom used to tell me. She used to say I had to sit in the cart and be still or else the police would come and arrest her! I sat in the grocery cart until I was about 5 years old! I totally believed her.
    Anonymous

• SWasson....similar to what i did. I would tell my kids to shake their sillies out before we left the house or went into somewhere, becasue sillies weren't allowed. Then when we went back outside they could get their sillies back. I would jump and dance around with them too so they knew what i meant. If they brought their sillies in with them, then they couldn't have them back when we left (and no dessert). That, along with quiet activities worked.

it's usually also a phase, as long as you don't give into the behavior you don't want.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009