Temper Tantrums

What do you do when your child throws a temper tantrum. My dd is 17 months old and is in full temper tantrum mode. She thows them when anything doesn't go her way...kicks, screams and sometimes even bites her toys when they don't do what she wants them to do. What can I do when she does this?

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ignore him. Any attempt to comfort or redirect during a full blown tantrum just makes it worse. When he gets no reaction, he cools quicker. I will usually re-iterate whatever the problem was (i.e. "you can't have the knife, it's dangerous) then I move on. I'll keep an eye to make sure he can't hurt himself but other wise I go about my business. Admittedly, he seldom throws tantrums any place other than home. When he has done it in public, I usually pull him aside and wait for him to cool (ignoring any looks I may get...)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well, I was going to give my 2 cents, but the PP took the words right out of my mouth! ;)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I do what momofryan07 does, because my lil girl, who is 18 months, has been throwing fits for months when things don't go her way or we take something from her.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009