How do you politely decline to eat their food?

My sister-in-law is famous for her jell-o cake. It is her favorite to take to parties, get together's, etc. So many people love it and request her to bring it all the time, but I don't care for it. She always gives me a piece and I take a bite in front of her and when she walks away i make my husband eat it right away before she sees. I seriously don't want to hurt her feelings but I don't think I can take anymore of those first bites!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Just tell her you are watching you sweets intake and that it is like her...too sweet!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Can't you just say you're stuffed? Or say you recently got sick after eating lots of jello and now you can't go near it.... lol.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Just tell her you are having tummy troubles. Works for me. :)
    Anonymous

• How about "none for me today," followed by "no thanks, it's not my cup of tea," if necessary. If there's any further escalation, you can try "it's REALLY not my thing."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You need to just be honest with her. Not everyone likes what others like. And you shouldn't be made to feel like you have to eat something to please someone. It shouldn't hurt anyones feelings that your taste buds don't like something..
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't be honest with her (no disrespect to Suzyb, just another opinion.) It would hurt her feelings. My recommendation is to go with a polite excuse as others have suggested. That you are watching your sugar or carbs works. and it is one that you can use every time and never hurt her feelings.

Answer by Bmat at 2:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What is wrong with "no, thank you"

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I like SWasson's idea. Very diplomatic and also truthful.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• "No, thank you!"

You don't have to tell someone that you don't like something. You just say "no thanks" and call it day. Don't read so much into it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I always try dental problems/toothache and/or wrap me a piece to take home please.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009