• In the Spotlight:

Can anyone help me introduce my soon to be 1 yearold to solids?

Hi, I am a proud mother of two: 1 bordering 10 yearsold and one about to turn 1, in August. So far, I have mastered adapting him to whole milk, and minigo children's yoguarts. When it comes to introducing him to small bits of food, be it fruit or meat, he has a hard time swallowing and therefore rejects his meal all together.

To date, all fruit cups and meals are in a puree blend, from the Gerber foods label.

Is this acceptible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to keep trying, offer the Gerber puffs, they disolve faster than fruits and meat. Also you can take them anywhere, so they are always ready when he is. If he still has difficulty swallowing try thick oatmeals to get him familiar with the process.
    sarabethdo

Answer by sarabethdo at 2:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'd do the same thing. Cheerios are another standard because they melt quickly as well. My son was also slow to accept solids (our running joke was that he'd put anything in his mouth except Cheerios...). I'd mention it to your doctor at his one year checkup if he doesn't make any progress. He/She may have other suggestions but some kids just take longer.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If he isn't eating a balanced diet of real food, he shouldn't be on milk yet! He should still be on formula (or breastmilk) for his nutrition until he is getting it from food!

If he's having trouble swallowing at 12 months, you need to speak to the pediatrician.

He's not getting proper nutrition.
    Anonymous

• gerber has freeze dried fruits that dissolve really fast or the yogurt melts, also there fruit and vegie that arent pureed are softer to chew and the lil meet things that look like vienna sausages in the jar are soft meat....you can try those
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009