what's going on with my cat?

I have had my cat for 11 years. She lives in the house with me and sleeps with me every night. I am now 31 weeks pregnant and my cat has started throwing up all over the place. She used to throw up, but now it's more often than usual. I've been watching her today and it appears as though she throws up and then walks around and sniffs the carpet and picks up whatever little things she can off the carpet and eats and it and then a while later throws up again. She will throw up and then go straight to her food bowl and eat as if she has been starving. I have another cat as well and it seems like my cat taunts the other cat more often than normal. My cat aggravates the other cat when she's in the litter box, when she's sleeping and just in general. They are always fighting. Could my cat be acting up because she senses the baby coming? If yes, will it get better or worse with the baby. Will she hurt my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Not sure about the baby part, but it sounds like you should take the cat throwing up to the vet. The way you describe it she's not keeping food down. She is an older cat, it sounds like she may have a problem that needs to be looked after.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I've had cats all my life, including when I was pregnant and when I brought my babies home from the hospital and when they were very young. I never had any problem with the cats doing anything to the babies. When the babies turned into toddlers, the cats learned to stay out of their reach. I would take the vomiting cat to the vet, sounds like a slight problem there, needs to be looked into.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i have a 10 yr old cat who started vomiting and acting strangely (aloof, sometimes clingy, not wanting to go outside) a few wks after my baby was born. didn't know if it was depression (i hate to admit that i wasn't giving her as much attention, with caring for my 1st baby and all) a hairball, or gastritis infection, so we went to the vet and he said he didn't really know what was going on, but prescribed antibiotics and a laxative, and a change in diet. i gave it a week, in addition to giving her some tlc, and she's back to normal. bottom line: for peace of mind, take your cat to the vet and be sure it's not something serious. p.s. hope you're not changing her litter (don't want to get toxo)
    luckymama612

Answer by luckymama612 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my cat throws up alot and then eats a ton and throws up more. the vet said that it is from hairballs and tried to get me to give her some oil suppliments (which she refused to even think about eating lol) so what i did was switch her to the iams hairball control dry food and i brush her alot (she never really sheds so idk why she has such bad hairball problems). you could try that. i don'[t think that she'll hurt the baby.... i think she's just having some tummy issues right now
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009