How can I help my son deal with repeating first grade?

My 7 year old son has had a lot of trouble with reading. Teachers also say that he is very immature. We spent a lot of time working on the reading this summer and though he has shown some improvement we have decided to agree with the school and have him repeat first grade. We are being very up beat and optimistic about it, but I wonder what to expect in the coming school year. And would appreciate any suggestions on how to handle things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your school SHOULD make accommodations for your son to work with a reading specialist/tutor. It can be during school hours, or after school (there are retired teachers that do this as well).

Other than that, have you had his eyesight and hearing checked, and had him evaluated for dyslexia or other reading comprehension problems? It's always a good idea to rule out issues that aren't necessarily "visible" before beating your head against the wall and your son getting frustrated because he simply cannot see, or is having difficulty with reading comp.

Often it is a relatively "simple fix" when you address the "hidden" issues. At 2 1/2 my older son wasn't speaking and started crossing one eye on occasion. We had his eyes checked, and it turns out he was extremely farsighted--+9.75 on a scale of 10! Once he got prescription eyeglasses he began tuning in!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• that is correct have him checked out my son was provided with a reading tutor since the he started 1st grade then I had his eyes checked out and turns out he needed glasses after the 1st semester he was out of the tutors class and did very good with his grades and a major improvement in his reading.
    mommyttc

Answer by mommyttc at 3:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Don't let him struggle. Holding him back will boost his confidence. Make it a good thing.
    Anonymous

• My son also struggled with reading. Still does- keep him working at it. Check and see if your local library has a program for reading also or make time to read to a Pet.

Oh yeah- my son needed reading glasses. No one else in our family has glasses but they thought his eyes might just not be adjusting correctly and it's usually a thing that corrects itself later in adolescents.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 8:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2009