Doctor Visits in Your Last Trimester

Can anyone please tell me your experiences with the last few visits before you had your baby? I'm a FTM, and I went to the ER the other night with cramps and back pain. They said I was in early labor. I went to my doctor then today and she didn't examine me at all, even though I told her what my symptoms were. Did you get regular examinations to determine when you started dilating or how close you are to labor? I'm 39 weeks and the cramping is getting closer and harder, but my doctor didn't even look to see if I was dilating. Is this normal and I'm just getting nervous and making too much of it?

Emuu

Asked by Emuu at 2:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Most women get cervix checks... although I don't know why bc it tells you absolutely NOTHING as far as when you'll go into labor and only increases your chances for an infection.

As for why he didn't check you... you are 39 weeks. If you go into labor on your own, then the baby's obviously ready. Why risk infection by checking you? There's no reason at all do it in all honesty. Only for you or his/her curiosity.

I say just relax and hope for a happy, healthy baby to be in your arms soon!
    Anonymous

• Ahh.. didn't realize there was an increased chance of infection! Now I'm glad my doc didn't check me! I'm just so nervous and this cramping and stuff is starting to unnerve me lol. I'm getting all antsy waiting for this baby! Thanks :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yep.. bc as soon as those "sterile" gloves leave the package, they get whatever germs and bacteria that are on the doctors hands or in the air on them and that goes into you vagina. Can cause an infection of the vagina, and if your water has broken it can also cause an infection of your uterus during labor (bad). Minimal dilation checks during labor are recommended... I only had 2.

Glad I could help :)
    Anonymous

• Well the thing is that being dilated or not before labor doesn't actually mean anything. The checks are not only useless they introduce bacteria up there and in my opinion also add unnecessary stress to the mothers.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009