I have an autistic son who is having anger management issues. What do I do?

He is seven years old and getting bigger every day. He has self abusive behavior and very rarely hits others. I just don't know what is causing this increase in abusive behavior. I don't want to drug my child into losing his personality. I would love to hear any advice.

isaacsmom2361

Asked by isaacsmom2361 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 4 of my 6 kiddos are on the spectrum, My 5yo has anger issues also, and unfortunantly the autism does prevent them (for some) to have the ability to understand how to properly "deal" with their emotion. I can understand your not wanting to give him medicines- our 10yo daughter was on them for awhile and we didn't like how she was on them.
    Behavior therapy: have you tried it?? Talk with your sons doctor about seeing a behavior therapist.
    There are MANY other alternatives to medications. We tried medication- it didn't work for us. For the anon answer above- YES medication CAN make your child loose their personality, our 10yo was on medication for her behaviors and all she did was sit and drool all day long!!
    Talk with your doctor about your concerns. Please feel free to email me and I will gladly tell you some of the non-medicine methods we use.
    Good Luck Momma!!
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 9:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• 1) Providing meds when needed does NOT make him lose his personality. If they are going to help him cope with life, then why make him suffer? (if in fact they will help him)
    2) Talk to his doctors about it and get ideas from those who know him best...not a bunch of strangers on the internet.
    Anonymous