Am I wrong for getting mad?

My daughter fell asleep in her highchair at daycare. Instead of moving her, they just leaned the seat back.

Something about this bothers me. They tried to tell me she was safe because she was wearing a five point harness.

I got mad because they didn't pay enough attention to see that she was getting sleepy.

acbrandon

Asked by acbrandon at 3:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies sometimes fall asleep without a lot of notice. Rather than disturb her, they made her as comfortable as they could, and also made sure she was safe. If I were home, I would have picked her up and put her in her bed. But the decision they made seems reasonable.

Answer by Bmat at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Annoyed maybe, but If my daughter fell asleep in her high chair, I'd let her just sleep. But thats me in my own home.

Anonymous

• Things like this happen daily in Daycare centers. Things that we would not do at home. You have given up some authority in caring for your child and can't expect them to do everything as you would like it done. Just imagine the other things happening that you don't know about.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Honestly I've done that before because I know if I pick her up and more her she'll wake up. Then she'll be REALLY cranky so I let her sleep.

It wouldn't have bothered me.
    Anonymous

• Well, when my daughter was about 5 months they "couldn't" get her to sleep and from 8-4:30 she only took a 15 minute nap all day. I felt it was sort of neglectful on their part. She normally sleeps twice a day, for atleast an hour both times, so you can imagine what frame she was in when I got the poor girl home. Also, one day at the same daycare, the lady was holding my baby, you know on the hip like you do when they can hold up their heads, and an older girl was doing something bad so while holding my daughter, she quickly grabbed the other girl's hand. That too bothered me because what if she dropped my child?

I think as mothers we are very protective of our children. It's understandable for you to feel a little bothered that your child had to sleep in a highchair rather than comfortably in a crib. I don't think they did it out of meanness or neglect though, and she atleast did sleep. Just as long as it's not daily lol.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I picked this daycare because they have cameras. I miss my little one a lot while I work, I think this is a way to stay connected with her.

My child gives great cues when she is sleepy: eye-rubbing, fussiness. She always calls out when she is ready to get out of the high chair.

I guess I just feel like they should be a bit more attentive. This is definitely the first time anything like this has happened.
    acbrandon

Answer by acbrandon at 3:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If it was at home, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes moving them can just irritate a child. Why not let them get some rest. And some kids fight sleep so rather thanlaying down and let scream, let them eat or play and then fall asleep. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Anonymous

• Also, consider that it's typically 4 babies to 1 teacher. SO they cannot always jump to your childs cues. Soemtiems the baby with the poopy diaper will get the attention, or the one that had a block fall on his foot or the one that must be held to take a bottle. There's a different between overlooking or tending to the overall needs of all kids and negligence.
    Anonymous

• I always had the rule, (much to my MIL's displeasure) if the child is asleep... don't move it. If I attempted to move my child mid nap, they would wake up.Every time.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 3:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son has done this more times than I can count. Just think about it they have so many children there. They cant pay 100% to each child. There really safe. And if she was unconfortable she would let you know. Its not a big deal.
    jamesyboyandval

Answer by jamesyboyandval at 4:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009