WHAT TO DO ABOUT UNDERWEIGHT CHILDERN

MY SON IS 17 ALMOST 18 MONTHS OLD AND HAS BEEN UNDERWEIGHT SINCE BIRTH AND HIS DAD AND I ARE SMALL PEOPLE BUT MY FAMILY SAYS HE IS UNHEALTHY AND NEEDS TO GROW FASTER AND GAIN WIEGHT NOW CAUSE THEY THINK HE SHOULD WIGHT 30 LB.S RIGHT NOW HE IS 22 AND IS VERY ACTIVE AND HAS BEEN LIKE THAT THE WHOLE TIME I DONT THINK ANYTHING IS WRONG I THINK HES PERFECT BUT I CANT GET THEN TO LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT I WANT TO SCREAM AND TELL THEM TO SHUT UP PLEASE HELP ME I JUST DONT KLNOW WHAT TO DO

nikkijaden

Asked by nikkijaden at 3:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell them that you trust your doctors opinion on the matter, and he will gain weight on his own. My daughter is three and a half and only 27 lbs. Her doctors aren't concerned at all.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Why cant people accept that there are small people and bigger people on this planet? Its not that hard to understand that some kids are just small, its got nothing to do with what you feed them or not. I have a nephew who has been "underweight" his whole life, the kid is very healthy but also very skinny..he eats more than i do! Its just how he is.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• feed that kid some steak and potatoes. dont be afraid to bring in just salad in your house!
    Anonymous

• Tell them that she is healthy and to butt out! My daughter is 26 months and weighs 24 lbs. She's healthy and happy, eats like a horse and is very active. She's always been in the lower percentiles. I think it is unhealthy to have your child jump through precentiles just because you think he is underweight. Children will grow natrually and typically follow the growth charts. So if he's in the 5th percentile and continues to grow along the same percenitle, I think that's very healthy. Usually, doctors are concenered when there is an unexplained jump or drop in percentiles. So just keep doing what you are doing and next time they say something, start ranting about obsesity in this country and how not all kids need to be fat to be healthy. Maybe they will get the point. Then offer them some super healthy, weight loss bars :)
    Anonymous

• oh they need to hush my son is two and 1/2 and healthy as can be and still not 30 lbs
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 6:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My daughter is little too. She is 18.5 pounds and 13 months old. Her doctor says she's just fine. As long as your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry about what your family says.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My 15 month old is 30 inches tall and only weighs 17 lbs her father and I are short.
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010