How do I deal with neighborhood bullies that have no good parents so cant talk to them about their kids

O.K. I am usually very happy but the last three months I am NOT AT ALL. We have had some problems with these kids in the neighborhood. One night after ballgames we came home to a dead headless snake on our patio under our chairs. We have a privacy fence and these teens 14-17 will climb on the neighbors fence to just stare us down we cant do anything outdoors without the getting loud standing by our fence and just intimidating me and the kids. My husband says you dont move because you dont like somekids in the neighborhood but how can I not feel so trapped by this? How can I just ignore them and not feel like they are gunning for us. We have lived here for 17 months and now our rent has been lowered and we rent from a doctor so we have it great here, great school district, but I feel very intimidated by these teens. This is consuming me how can I stop this I am 33 years old not a middle schooler.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• The next time they climb a fence to leer at you spray those snots with the garden hose. lol, just put a sprinkler below where they get on the fence. "What? I didn't mean to spray them! I was just watering the lawn!"
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I forgot to say: If you are afraid they will know it and that is why they won't leave you alone. Doing something like that will let them know you are not intimidated. I had a similar situation and the way I stopped it is that I just started doing weird things to the neighbors....I freaked them out enough to make them leave me alone. Like one time I put plastic googly eyes on a pickle and stuck it under their windshield wiper with a note that read "Help me!"
    My room mate waited until they were watching and started to go through their trash when they were on the curb. By the end we had them terrified to come near us. Then we stopped. To be fair, they started it by doing the same type of thing that you're describing.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Call the cops on them what they are doing is ridiculous ..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Okay....the pickle with the google eyes is hysterical.

I agree with letting them know you see them and are not intimidated by them. Maybe simply looking them straight in the eye and saying......"Hi, how are you guys today?" or "Hello, we were going to play a game of XYZ, have you played that before?" They are most likely exhibiting this type of behavior because they know it bugs you. If you act like it doesn't bother you it will ruin their fun.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Video tape their behavior & call the cops out EVERY time ANYTHING happens. Even if it's something like the snake... where you can't PROVE it was them. With the tapes on top of it, they can connect the dots enough to do something.

Everytime they intimidate you in ANY way, press charges (harassment)... enter your property -- -trespassing. Set up motion lights & an alarm at night.

Be persistant & don't back down.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009