Putting self in labor

Okay i am 38 in a half weeks pregnant should i try caster oil? if you have done it how long did it take you to go into labor

Jaydensmommy127

Asked by Jaydensmommy127 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is risk of causing the baby to have a bowel movement in the womb, which could cause him/her to aspirate it into their lungs and lead to complications. Be patient. Baby will come when he/she is ready.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• No you shouldn't do anything, it is not risk free at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My Dr. actually told me that I could take caster oil. I did and I almost threw up. It is the most repulsive stuff ever. I did go into labor within an hour of taking it, but I really don't think there was any correlation it just happened that way. I would really recommend other ways to get labor started. Walk a lot, eat spicy foods, have sex, I even sat on a yoga ball and lightly bounced for the entire day and that night my water broke. I think the pressure from lightly bouncing actually helped encourage labor more than the caster oil! GL!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• NO NO NO!! Castor oil is HIGHLY NOT recommended! It carries a lot of risks, including the baby producing meconium which can be deadly if they breathe it in! Please please please do not do unless under the supervision of a midwife or OB.
    Anonymous

• DO NOT USE THAT!!!

It can severly dehydrate the mother and cause the baby to release meconium which can cause serious injury or death if not handle quickly enough with the proper medical technology.

Castor Oil is NOT safe.

There are safe things you can try but that's not one of them!
    Anonymous

• i talked to my doctor about it and she said that its worth a try.. and that ir couldnt do anything to him..
    Jaydensmommy127

Answer by Jaydensmommy127 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well your doctor is misinformed... I've seen many women have bad side effects from it. It IS harmful. This is coming from a doula...
    Anonymous